Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair
13677702

2006 hyundai sonata: temp control..cabin..I checked the a/c compressor

Customer Question

I have a 2006 hyundai sonata with auto temp control. Just recently when turning the temo dial up or down there is no change inside the cabin. I checked the a/c compressor and its works and engine gets up to temp.
Category: Car
Expert:  Ed replied 7 years ago.
Hello. Just so I understand your question, the temp at the vents does not change at all when setting the temp on the control head?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes that is true.The control dial when set to 88 does get hotter and set to 60 it doesnt get cooler.
Expert:  Ed replied 7 years ago.
If you remove the panel at the right side of the center console toward the front where it goes under the dash you can look up the center of the heater case and see the temperature control actuator. If you change the temp and it moves, something is broken in the heater case. If it does not move I would suspect the actuator has failed. Normally on a Hyundai it is the actuator that has failed, not a heater case failure.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
You mean under where the steering column to the right. I change the temp control while under there and all the arms move fine. What about in the control panle itself. Rmemember it doesnt have heat or cooling. Could it be the resistor is bad on this control panel?
Expert:  Ed replied 7 years ago.
The actuator is facing the passenger side if the illustration is correct. If you register for free at hmaservice.com you can find the service manuals there to see the illustrations. Honestly I have never had to replace a control head for this problem.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I belong to alldata and have this hyundai listed in here that is why I know where all these parts are.
Expert:  Randall C replied 7 years ago.

Hello. Since you have Alldata, you can lookup and view as well but I included description and pix. The Heat/Cool is controlled by an electric actuator. It is common for them to fail or strip the gear. It is also possible the control switch is not sending the signal to the actuator but you must start at the actuator first. If you can get to it, unbolt it and let it hang. Work the temp control. The motor should spin one way and then the other. Be sure to look close at the gear on it as well. It could be stripped. This acuator controls ALL heat and cool air.

DESCRIPTION

1. Heater unit includes mode control actuator and temperature control actuator.
  2. Temperature control actuator is located at the heater unit. Signal from control unit adjusts position of temperature door by operating temperature switch and then temperature will be regulated by the hot/cold air ratio determined by position of temperature door.

REPLACEMENT

1. Disconnect the negative (-) battery terminal.

1. Pull out the passenger's crash pad center lower cover (A).
  2. Disconnect the connector of temperature control actuator after removing the air duct.

1. Loosen the mounting screw and then remove the temperature control actuator (B).
  2. Install in the reverse order of removal.