Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor

How to change the A/C belt on a 2002 Montero Sport 3.0L

I am replacing a broken belt and can't get the idler pully to move so I can get the new belt on. I see the two mounting bolts and one bolt on the top that looks like the tension adjustment. I have moved that bolt clockwise and counterclockwise and the pully does not seem to be moving. What am I doing wrong?
Category: Car
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.

You need to loosen the center nut on the idler pulley, then loosen(counterclockwise) the adjusting bolt. The idler pulley should start moving downard to allow belt to come off, if it doesnt, it is has corrosion buildup. Place a piece of wood against idler pulley and tap with hammer a couple of times to free the idler pulley up- at that point continue loosening adjuster bolt until belt comes off