1996 Oldsmobile Achieva: SL, with 101,000 miles on it..odometer

Customer Question

1996 Oldsmobile Achieva, SL, with 101,000 miles on it. I changed out the Instrument Panel because the odometer was not working. Now it seems the computer will not accept the new instrument panel. I think that it needs to have the computer reset or reprogrammed, because the car will run for approximately 10 seconds, then shut off and there doesn't seem anything else wrong. Please explain how to reset the computer or tell me where I can find out how to reset the computer.
Category: Car
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 7 years ago.

When replacing the instrument panel on this model you must perform a relearn to the theft system after the repair has been made. Here is what I would recommend that you try.

Time required, approximately 10 minutes.

1. Insure that the battery is fully charged.
  2. Use the scan tool in order to clear the DTCs.
  3. Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the CRANK position attempting to start the vehicle. The vehicle will start and then stall.
  4. Leave the ignition switch in the ON position while observing the security indicator.
  5. When the security indicator turns off, which can take up to 10 minutes, turn the ignition switch off. Wait 10 seconds.
  6. Turn ignition to start, at this point the vehicle should start and run.

Let me know how you make out! Good luck!