Scott, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase certified, 24 years, bumper to bumper all makes

How do I tune up a 2005 Hyundai Elantra

How do I tune up a 2005 Hyundai Elantra
Category: Car
Expert:  Scott replied 7 years ago.

I am going to give you the information you need, but I also will have you do a little extra so we might be able to get rid of that stumble.

First, you will need to remove the cover on the top of the valve cover assembly. You will see the plug wires going underneath it. Once that is removed, you will see the plug wires going into the plug bores. Remove the wires. Now, with the engine cold, remove the spark plugs. Is there any oil on the out side of the plugs. If so, the valve cover seal will need to be replaced. While you are there, replace the PCV valve. Now, once everything is reassembled, remove the air tube from the air cleaner box to the throttle body. Look at the throttle plate and tell me if it has black,gummy stuff on it. DO NOT PUT YOUR FINGER IN THERE!

Finally, do yourself a favor and install Hyundai Spark Plugs(NNN) NNN-NNNNor an NGK or DENZO equivalent. Also install a new set of wires, using a dielectric grease in each end.

O.K. any more questions on this job?

Ill be here.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
<p>Hey Scott thanks for the reply. I can't reply till later to night or tomorrow</p><p> </p>
Expert:  Scott replied 7 years ago.
That is fine.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hello Scott
No oil on the outside of the plugs
There is a light black film on the throttle plate.
Expert:  Scott replied 7 years ago.

O.K. if you have carburetor cleaner, use a soft rag, WEAR YOUR SAFTEY GLASSES AND RUBBER GLOVES and spray into the throttle body, Then open the body and spray in and around. Spray your rag and, like using your finger to scrub your teeth when you lost your tooth brush {don't ask} work it and re clean again if needed. Put it all back together. Now,m it will be a tad flooded, so give it about a 1/4 throttle when starting.

The reason I did not want you to put your finger in the throttle plate, is because I needed to verify if you had a linkage or drive by wire. The drive by wires have been eating fingertips with those unfamiliar with the unit.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks Scott.
It is drivin by wires. So I guess should make sure I don't leave any finger tips behind.
Expert:  Scott replied 7 years ago.

Pretty much, play it safe and when you open the body, put a small screw driver handle rolled in a rag on the bottom side to protect your fingers. Do not have the key on when doing it.