Scott, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase certified, 24 years, bumper to bumper all makes

1998 Mitsubishi Montero: battery went system..resets it

Our 1998 Mitsubishi Montero battery went dead. We have charged it, but the security system has shut the engine down. There is a button on the engine that resets it because it has happened before, but I cannot remember where the reset button is...can you please help?
Category: Car
Expert:  Scott replied 7 years ago.

I pulled the schematic on the factory alarm system, and there is no interface with the engine systems. Am I to assume that you have an after market, or dealer install alarm? If this is so, the valet switch is usually placed under the drivers side of the dash. It will usually be a little black push button.

This is one of those instances that I wish I could see the vehicle.

If you are not sure if this is an After market, or factory alarm, look under the dash, and see if there are a bunch of wires and a box that appear that they do not belong.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No...the flashing red button on the dash to indicate the theft protection has been activated came from the factory...the button is under the hood of the car...this has happened before, but as a woman, of course I can't remember where the dang button is...thanks though...I guess I will have to call our dealership...thanks for your help. We were hoping to fix it last night. We will just get our local mechanic to fix it. Have a great day!

Expert:  Scott replied 7 years ago.
No problem