Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair

1997 SAAB 900 se: 2.0 Turbo..spark..Direct ignition module..Alternator

I have a 1997 SAAB 900SE 2.0 Turbo with no spark. Direct ignition module was new in Dec 08. Alternator and battery were new in June 08. Just changed crank position sensor today and still no spark. Have only 9V to two of the prongs on the harness going to DIM when key is on. Coils on DIM show resistance, so I am doubting it has failed again with only 4 months run time. Not sure what to check next? Do not want to waste $700 on a new DIM if it isn't the problem. Do you know how to properly test it with a multi meter? I already removed DIM, turned over and installed all 4 spark plugs. Grounded each plug and cranked spark was evident. Could it be a voltage regulator, relay or something else?

Hello , although a scan tool is widley needed, this diag flow chart may help you. It is test procedure for no spark,no start condition

Symptom Of Fault .
Engine will not start.

Diagnostic Procedure .

1. Check the ignition discharge module's ground connection
    • Connect a test lamp to battery positive (B+) and pin 6 of the ignition discharge module's connector. The test lamp should light up.

Is the test lamp on?

YES: Continue with point 2.
NO: Check and rectify the wiring, including grounding point G7P. Then continue with point 4.

1. Check the ignition discharge module's 12 V supply
    • Connect the test lamp to pin 10 of the ignition discharge module's connector and battery negative (B-).
    • Activate one of the ignition coils by means of the ISAT scan tool. The purpose of this is to cause the main relay to operate.

The test lamp should light up.

Does the test lamp light up?

YES: Continue with point 3.
NO: Continue as described in "Fault diagnosis, main relay".

WARNING: The electronic ignition system generates up to 40,000 Volts. Such voltages can prove fatal to people with weak hearts or those who are fitted with a pacemaker. All due caution should therefore be observed when carrying out any work involving the ignition system .

The ignition discharge module must be positioned with the ignition coils downwards during the test so that the transformer oil will provide good insulation in the high-tension part of the coils.

1. Check the operation of the ignition discharge module

Sparks should be produced on each spark plug that is activated.

Are sparks obtained?

YES: Change the spark plug and continue with point 4.
NO: Change the ignition discharge module and continue with point 4.

1. Final check:
    • Try to start the engine.

Did the engine start?

YES: The remedial measure taken was correct.
NO: The fault is not in the ignition system.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks Randall...I am unable to view the images. The information should help me once, I can view. I will accept and consider bonus once I can view.

Sorry for delay . this happens sometimes. I think they actually time out. I will use an insert format and send pix shortly. LMK thanks