Jon Pell
Jon Pell, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certifications, Many years in the field, and graduated from Wyotech with degree in Auto, diesel
14645008

Need to know where the vacuum hose, etc. are on my 2003 Ford Ranger.

I have a 2003 Ford F150 Ranger with a possible Vacuum Leak. The red light is on, it's running rough & that's what the bozos @ a local shop told us. However, $300 for a repair is a bit much. I need a vacuum hose location and associated diagram so I can see where the hose is & see if I can repair it myself.
Do you have a 2003 Ford F150 or a ranger and what liter engine do you have?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ford F150, 4.6 Liter.
Here is the only vacuum diagram I can find that Ford released. The best way to find a vacuum leak is to hook it up to a smoke machine so if you have a leak all you have to do is find where the smoke comes from. Most shops can do this for very cheap and will let you watch when they do this so you can see. From my experience, on the left front on top of the engine by the fuel rail there is a 90 degree rubber vacuum grommet that leaks very often at the bend of the gromment. If this is leaking it will cause all of these symptoms and its a very common problem.
It is connected to a long plastic hose that runs the length of the engine on the passenger side.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is this not going through? I try to go back to the 'waiting room', then it sends me right back HERE.

if there's a diagram, you can also forward it to my aol address, which is sellen at a o l dot c o m .
lets see if this worksgraphic
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK. that came across. I just looked it over & that is for the air conditioning, etc. Nothing else available? should i buy a subscription to one of the diagram / repair web sites???

:::hitting head on wall:::
All of the repair subscriptions sites will only have what I just showed you because that is all that ford has released. 90% of the ford vehicles that come in my shop with these symptoms have a vacuum leak at that elbow I was talking about earlier. I would Visually inspect that and if that looks fine The only other thing would be to go have a smoke test done at a shop and watch them do it yourself.