mazda master tech
mazda master tech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years ex. 15 years mazda dealer tech. ase and L1 recertified master state,safety, emi,crt

I own a 1993 Mazda MX3 w/ auto transmission. The car doesnt

I own a 1993 Mazda MX3 w/ auto transmission. The car doesn't always want to shift out of 1st or 2nd gear and the "Hold" light is flashing. Owners Manual say this is an indication that the transaxle has an electrical problem. Any idea of what problem may be and how much to fix? Thanks! XXXXX
Category: Car
Expert:  mazda master tech replied 7 years ago.
The first place to start would be the valve body wire harness.Find a quality repair shop that can check the resistance of the transaxle fluid temp sensor.If there is a problem there, then you will need to replace the valve body wiring harness.The trans pan is taken off and harness is inspected for bare wires under metal clip.The valve body will need to be removed to replace the harness.Depending on your location and the repair facility that will determine cost.Be prepared that your car may need a replacement transmission though.Usually when the hold light is flashing the cost to repair is higher than a replacement.Hope this answers your question.Please reply back if more information is needed.