KBB
KBB, Technician
Experience:  3 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE ON DOMESTIC VEHICLES. EXTENSIVE GM TRAINING ON GMC,PONTIAC AND BUICK .
14353791

need timing marks for 2006 kia optima 2.4 liter could u send

need timing marks for 2006 kia optima 2.4 liter could u send me the picture of those marks please cant find a book
Category: Car
Expert:  KBB replied 5 years ago.
Hello Customer there are two 2.4l engines for that year. Is there any way you can give me your VIN# XXXXX i can narrow it down to the right one.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
vin#KNAGD126765462235
Expert:  KBB replied 5 years ago.

I will post the timing mark information below for you. I believe that i have the correct engine for your vehicle.

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There is a gear with a small belt is this something that needs to be timed.   The gear has a dot on it.
Expert:  KBB replied 5 years ago.

Yes i would make sure all marks are aligned. I will post the installation procedure for a reference.

Installation procedure.

graphic

Install crankshaft sprocket "B" into crankshaft. CAUTION: Pay special attention to the direction of the flange. If it is installed in the wrong direction, a broken belt could result from it.

graphic

Lightly apply engine oil to the outer surface of spacer, and then install the spacer to the right counter balance shaft. Be sure to install as the direction shown in illustration.
Install the counter balance shaft sprocket onto the right counter balance shaft, and then tighten flange bolt by hand tightly

graphic

Align the timing mark on each sprocket with the corresponding timing mark on the front case.

graphic

When the timing belt "B" is installed, make certain that tension side has no slack. Install tensioner "B" in the center of pulley located on the left side of mounting bolt and in the pulley flange directed toward front of engine. Align the timing mark on the right counter balance shaft sprocket with the timing mark on the front case.

graphic

Lift tensioner "B" to tighten the timing belt "B" so that its tension side will be pulled tight. In this condition, tighten a bolt to secure tensioner "B". When a bolt is tightened, be careful to prevent from turning together. If the shaft is turned together, the belt will be over tightened.
Check to ensure that timing marks are in alignment

graphic

Check to ensure that when the center of span on the tension side is depressed with index finger in direction of arrow, deflection of belt is within specification. Belt deflection 5 - 7 mm (0.2 - 0.3 inch)

graphic

Install the flange and crankshaft sprocket onto crankshaft. Be sure to install as the direction shown in illustration. CAUTION: Pay attention to direction of flange. If it is installed in wrong direction, a broken belt could result.
Install the special washer and sprocket bolt to crankshaft, and then tighten the sprocket bolt. Tightening torque Crankshaft sprocket bolt 110 - 130 Nm (1100 - 1300 kg.cm, 80 - 94 ft. lbs.)

graphic

Insert a screwdriver through the plug hole in left side of cylinder block to keep shaft in position.

graphic

Install the oil pump sprocket, and tighten the nut to the specified torque.

graphic

1 of 2

graphic

2 of 2

Install the camshaft sprocket and tighten the bolt to the specified torque. Tightening torque Camshaft sprocket bolt 80 - 100 Nm (800 - 1000 kg.cm, 56 - 72 ft. lbs.)
Install the auto tensioner.

graphic

CAUTION: Leave the set pin installed in the auto tensioner

graphic

NOTE:
If the auto tensioner rod is in its fully extended position, reset it as follows.

1 Clamp it in the vise with soft jaws in a level position. Apply a plain washer if there is a plug at the bottom of the auto tensioner.
2 Push in the rod slowly with the vise until the set hole A in the rod is aligned with the set hole B in the cylinder

graphic

Install the tensioner pulley onto the tensioner arm. CAUTION: Leave the wire installed in the auto tensioner

graphic

After installing the crankshaft sensor, set the timing mark of sprocket correctly. NOTE:
1 Before installing the timing belt, If the timing mark of cam sprocket doesn't coincide with that of rocker cover, do not rotate the cam sprocket more than 2 teeth of sprocket in any direction.
Rotating sprocket more than 2 teeth makes valve and piston touched each other.
2 In case of rotating the cam sprocket unavoidably more than 2 teeth, rotate the cam sprocket after rotating crank sprocket counter clock wise on basis of timing mark.

graphic

Align the crankshaft sprocket timing marks.
Align the oil pump sprocket timing marks.

graphic

Install the timing belt around the tensioner pulley and crankshaft sprocket. Then secure the timing belt onto the tensioner pulley with your left hand.
Pulling the belt with your right hand, install it around the oil pump sprocket.
Install the belt around the idler pulley.
Install it around the intake camshaft sprocket.
Turn the exhaust camshaft sprocket one tooth clockwise to align its timing mark with the cylinder head top surface. Then, pulling the belt with both hands, install it around the exhaust camshaft sprocket.
Gently raise the tensioner pulley as shown by the arrow so that the belt can't sag, and temporarily tighten the center bolt.
Check again whether the timing mark of each sprocket is correct or not.
Remove the fixed wire that is attached to auto tensioner.

graphic

Rotate the crankshaft two complete turns clockwise and leave it for about 15 minutes. Then, measure the auto tensioner protrusion "A" (distance between the tensioner arm and auto tensioner body) to ensure that it is up to specification. Standard value 6 - 9 mm (0.24 - 0.35 inch.

graphic

Install the timing belt lower cover and the timing belt upper cover.

KBB, Technician
Experience: 3 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE ON DOMESTIC VEHICLES. EXTENSIVE GM TRAINING ON GMC,PONTIAC AND BUICK .