Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair

2008 KIA Sedona: the transmission fluid..synthetic..motor oil

I am considering changing the transmission fluid on my 2008 KIA Sedona to a synthetic fluid that meets the KIA SPIII spec. My intent is to help improve the fuel mileage. At he same time I am intending to go to a synthetic motor oil (Amsoil). The vehicle has 15,000 miles on it now. What issues, if any, could I expect to encounter. Is there a replaceable filter in the transmission? Will changing to a synthetic oil void any warranty?
Category: Car
Expert:  Randall C replied 7 years ago.
Hello, thr filter should be done as long as you are doing a complete drain and fill. This will require removing the pan any way. You vehicle calls for SPIII fluid. You MUST be sure the info on your selected Synthetic is compatible. If so, your warranty will be ok. My concern is the torque converter. To to a fluid "change" requires more than just removing the pan and draining. There will be at least 4 qts left in converter. I suggest having a shop equipped with flush machine do the fluid swap to be sure you have 100% synthetic in the trans. No special filter needed BTW. Now, same hold true for the engine oil. You must be sure the lable states it matches your required engine oil by viscosity rating/ IF so, you are good. I do recommend using the filter offered by the manufacturer of the synthetic. I am not permitted to list them but I am sure you know the leading ones. Each have their own website for more info. Use a major brand of synthetic. No cheap ones. Techs vary, but I am a beleiver of synthetic oils. Good choice.