Philly Bmw Tech
Philly Bmw Tech, Technician
Experience:  BMW Master Technician w/ 15 years overall experience

I have to pump the gas pedal several times to get my car started.what

I have to pump the gas pedal several times to get my car started.what could be causing the problem?
Category: Car
Expert:  Philly Bmw Tech replied 5 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
:

No but somebody said something about the cooling system around the air filter.

:

1994 Mazda626.I have to start my car all the time by pumping the gas pedal.

Philly Bmw Tech :

When you try to start the car without pumping the gas, what exactly happens?

:

It just turns on it won't start unless I pump the gas pedal a couple of times.

:

I meant turns over

:

So I need to get the leak fixed or replace the fuel injector.Could it have anything to do with the cooling system?

Philly Bmw Tech :

Are you having trouble with the cooling system?

Philly Bmw Tech :

It sounds like you might have a fuel injector leaking. When you pump the gas, or hold it to the floor, it puts the engine controler into clear flood mode, which limits the amount of fuel being added. If an injector is leaking it will cause too much fuel to be in the cylinder, not allowing it to fire and not letting the engine start.

Philly Bmw Tech :

Have you tried just holding the gas pedal to the floor and trying to start the engine?

:

yes I have but I shouldn't have to start my car by pumping the gas pedal.It should start up soon as I turn the igition .

:

Is it electric sensor hooked up to the air filter going into the manifold

Philly Bmw Tech :

It is also possible that if your coolant temperature sensor is faulty to have this same problem. If the sensor is reading too cold the computer will add more fuel to help the engine start. If it is a false reading it will cause the issue you are having. I would suggest you have someone who has access to a scan tool look at the car and see what the coolant temp sensor ir reading before the car is started. If it reads much colder than it actually is, that is your problem.

Philly Bmw Tech :

No it would not be in the air filter. It should be on the engine itself, most likely in the cylinder head.

:

What would be causing the car to miss and tap around the head ?

Philly Bmw Tech :

That could be many things. Without being able to hear the noise it is very hard to give an opinion.

:

Ok thank you for your time.Your advice has been very helpful .

Philly Bmw Tech :

Thankyou. Good luck. Please remember to accept my answer. Have a nice night.

Philly Bmw Tech, Technician
Experience: BMW Master Technician w/ 15 years overall experience