Richard, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  12 years Ford Lincoln/Mercury Jaguar dealership as a technician and shop foreman reparing all makes
10437779

2003 LINCOLN: LS...THE SERVICE PAKING BRAKE LIGHT IS..ON.

Customer Question

I HAVE A 2003 LINCOLN LS. THE SERVICE PAKING BRAKE LIGHT IS ON. HOW CAN I FIX IT.
Category: Car
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

When the fault light comes on there may be a problem with the motor or parking brake module. You will need a Ford scan tool to read the fault codes. What you can do is disconnect the negative battery terminal for 10 minutes. Then reconnect it, start the engine and pump the brake pedal. Then while you hold your fot on the brake pedal pull up on the parking brake switch handle. This will reset the parking brake and may rectify the problem.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
STILL ON. ANY THING ELSE YOU CAN THINK OF
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.
It can be a faulty motor or module. The light can also be caused by low battery voltage on start up. You will need to have the fualt codes read with a compatible scan tool. If you do not want to go to the dealer then you will need to find a shop that has a compatible scan tool that can communicate with the electronic parking brake module.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.
It's still on because there is a fault permanently stored in the module. It can be a faulty motor or module. The light can also be caused by low battery voltage on start up. You will need to have the fualt codes read with a compatible scan tool. If you do not want to go to the dealer then you will need to find a shop that has a compatible scan tool that can communicate with the electronic parking brake module.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
RAN A CODE SCAN MY SELF. DIDN'T FIND ANY. IT'S A NEW BATTERY ABOUT A MONTH OLD. ANY WAY I CAN TEST THE MOTOR OR MODULE MY SELF AND WERE ARE THEY.
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.

You will need a Ford scan tool to read the codes from the electronic parking brake module. Your scanner can only read codes from the PCM. The parking brake module is located behind the trunk liner on the driver side and the motor is located above the rear differential underneath the vehicle.

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
SOUND LIKE A JOB FOR THE MECHANIC. HOW MUCH DO YOU THINK IT WILL BE
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.
It sepends on what the problem is. I have replaced modules and motors for this concern. It may also be a broken or binding cable. The motor is about $600.00 parts and labor and the module is about the same.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
WOW THANKS.
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.

Your welcome.

Thanks for the accept and for using justanswer.com.