David, Hot Rod Shop Owner
Experience:  10 years in automotive industry from oil changes to complete vehicle design and fabrication.

2000 Volvo V40: the piston on the rear, drivers side caliper..screw

I'm having trouble with compressing the piston on the rear, drivers side caliper of a 2000 Volvo V40. I have been told that it's screw type, but I can't get it to screw back in. I try and try, but nothing. I've even taken off the break line to make sure that it has no pressure, but still won't screw back in. Is it maybe something with the parking break line? I have the parking break on, should it not be? Please help.
This should be done with the parking brake off. Sometimes if it is very difficul a special tool is required. The tool is available for rent at some parts stores. Try with the brake off first.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have also tried with the break off. The piston just turns and turns and doesn't seem to move in at all. If the tool is the little cube with the nubs on five sides, I've also tried that, but none of the settings on the cube fit the piston, so I've been using a pair of needle nose pliers to spin it.
There is another tool that applies pressure whil turning. I have had a few that had adjusted out past the end of the screw and would not bite without it. Have you tried directly pressing the piston with a c"c" clamp or similar tool?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have tried with a c-clamp, yes. But I couldn't get it to tighten down. I put a wrench on it and tried as hard as I could, but it wouldn't budge. I may just order a new caliper or maybe try pulling off the one I have now and try and get a better hold on it. How exactly do you get the parking break line off? I can't seem to figgure that out.
The piece that the cable goes to is under sprin pressure and is very difficult to move. You can try applying the parking brake and clamping the piece in position and letting the brake off. This should give you enough slack to remove the cable from the fingers it rests in on the caliper. As far as the piston issue goes, it sounds like you are on the right track with replacing it. Without having it in my hands I couldnt tell you the exact cause but you have diligently tried all avenues.