Jim Barlogio
Jim Barlogio, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  38 years Import and Domestic
16094637

98 Infinity QX4: reverse..struggles..my rear drum brakes have locked

Customer Question

My 98 Infinity QX4 feels like its going into gear but wont go in reverse and struggles to move foward. Could my rear drum brakes have locked/siezed?
Category: Car
Expert:  Jim Barlogio replied 7 years ago.

This is Jim.. Put the car in neutral engine off . e brake off ... can you push the car.

If you can the brakes are not sticking.. But it is best to pull all 4 wheels and check ... If they are worn out you will need to replace them. Jim
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hey Jim-
Thanks for etting back to me so fast. I guess its not the brakes cause the car does roll freely in nuetral. Could it be the transmission. The car was running fine this morning. Any other suggestions? Thanks again.

Need to check your trans level. Making sure it is full and .. it should be pink in color not dark brown or black. If levels are good recheck your work. Then if neeed may have to take it in to a shop.. Check engine light off.. then you have done all you can do at this points. Jim

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you Jim. You really got me going in the right direction. Looks like I'll be replacing my transmission. Thanks again!
Sorry bout the trans. If you have more questions or a friend they can request me.. Thanks again . Jim