ase_master327, Shop Owner
Experience:  +15 years experience on imports and domestics. Bumper to bumper diagnosis & repair.

1999 kia sportage: 140,000 miles .

I just bought a 1999 kia sportage from a city impound auction. I know nothing about the history of the vehicle. It has 140,000 miles . When I try to start it the starter keeps cranking the engine but it will not turn over. What is the possible/common cause to my troubles? Additionally, How would I go about trouble shooting this? I was told that it may be the fuel pump because I should hear the pump when the ignition is in the on position. Is that correct info?
Category: Car
Expert:  ase_master327 replied 7 years ago.
Hello! The most major thing I would be worried about is if the engine is burned up, or if it might have a bad timing belt. If anything BUT those 2 things are the problem.. then you have something fixable.

So, the first thing to do would be to check the fuel and ignition systems. This is fairly easy just spray some carb or brake cleaner into the engine to see if it starts up and runs while you spray the stuff..

If it doesn't, then you will have to check for compression in the cylinders. Just pull a plug and put your finger over the hole, and have someone try to crank the engine.. the engine should easily make enough pressure to push your finger off the hole.

These tests will help get you pointed in the right direction. If you need anything else, just let me know.