Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE master, 30+ years. All makes and models. Trouble shooter, shop forman, service manager
2947720

1999 deville: fault codes..the display.I changed the trans..reappear

Customer Question

My 1999 deville is getting two fault codes, which are po440 and po741 and also "service transmission" on the display.I changed the trans. fluid and filter then cleared the codes only to have them reappear soon after. I realize the two codes probably are'nt related one being an eec fault and the other one a torque converter solenoid problem. my haynes manual is not much help in this matter. ANY information on troubleshooting or parts replacement direction you can give will be most helpful.........        THANK YOU!
Category: Car
Expert:  Jerry replied 7 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

For the P0440, you will want to make sure that the gas cap is good and that there are no hoses off the tank. Let me give you the test for that as well as the P0741

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

Diagnostic Aids

Important: An accurate indication of fuel level is required for the PCM to properly Pass or Fail this DTC. Always diagnose fuel level sensor DTC's before performing this DTC's diagnostic table. Always check for fuel level sensor DTC's stored as History.

Perform a physical inspection of the EVAP system. Check for the following conditions:

• A loose, missing, defective, or incorrect fuel tank cap
  • Incorrectly routed or defective EVAP system vacuum and vapor lines
  • A malfunctioning or damaged EVAP vapor canister

P0741

graphic

Diagnostic Aids

• Inspect the transmission fluid level.
  • The transmission may be in hot mode. Inspect the transmission fluid lines to the radiator. The lines may be pinched, plugged or twisted.