Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

saab: intermittently..wont turn..replaced starter/solenoid last week

Customer Question

Car continues to not start intermittently, doesn't make any noise, everything turns on as normal such as light, ect. the car just won't turn over sometimes. I can hit the starter area and it makes it work usually. I just replaced starter/solenoid last week with a new saab starter. Battery is fine also.
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.

Does the starter have 12 volts on both terminals with the key in the crank position when its not starting?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No when it doesn't start it has no voltage except from the battery terminal
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.
SO the smaller wire does not have battery voltage when it does not start with the key in the crank position?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Right has no voltage from the little wire that comes from the ignition when it doesn't start
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.

WOuld you like a wiring diagram?

WHat is the year make and model?

Auto or manual trans?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I guess I don't know much about wiring, 2004 saab 9-3. Auto
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.

Make sure the relay has two powers with the key on and that it is getting grounded by the control module. HEre is a wiring diagram. THe other pictures help identify the components on the diagram.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Everything appears to be normal with relay, any other ideas? I know this is a difficult problem. My mechanic can't figure it out, due to it happening intermittently. Would it work if I could install a toggle switch from a hot wire directly to the solenoid, or could this cause other problems to occur with the car.
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.
Well normally that would not be an issue. However, your computer does control the starter relay. This may cause some issues down the road. I would recommend not to install a toggle switch. I would suggest to get it correctly diagnosed and fixed.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
That's the problem can't find anyone that is able to diagnose the problem, that's why I was asking if there was a way to bypass whatever it is that's causing the problem. Do have any other suggestions. I really appreciate your assistance.
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.

SUre... you bet!

I will be able to diagnose this problem if you stick with me.

This will take some elbow grease on your part.

DO you want to continue?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yeah sure, thanks
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.

Ok... do you know where the starter relay is?

Can you get to the wires that go into the back of this relay?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yeah I know where it's at, i can try, what should i do if I can get to the wires
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.

ALso, Turn the key on and see which ones have power to them!

Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.