David, Hot Rod Shop Owner
Experience:  10 years in automotive industry from oil changes to complete vehicle design and fabrication.

1999 Subaru legacy: automatic transmission..a problem with my starter

I have a 1999 Subaru legacy wagon with 2.2L automatic transmission. I've been having a problem with my starter. I turn the key and it would click once and nothing. Turn again and one click. Once it started for the day it would be fine. Now I went to start and wouldn't turn at all but a noise that sounded like a blender ran dry was running. Took the Key out and still went. I had to disconnect the battery. Help
Category: Car
Expert:  David replied 7 years ago.
It appears that the starter and solenoid are going bad. I would recommend replacing the starter. As for the blender noise it is probably the pinion gear on the starter not properly engaging. This could be stripped teeth on your fly wheel or just a result of the starter being faulty. I would start by replacing the and see how it performs.