Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION
3903212

My nephew drove my car down a flooded street..engine cut

My nephew drove my car down a flooded street, close to the beach. The water rose quickly and the engine cut off, and he abandoned it in the street. He said the water was waist high when he left it, but I can't tell how high it got into the engine. There are small deposits of sand on the rim of the cap where the oil is refilled, which makes me think it was completely covered with water. But, on the inside, the floors are wet, however it did not reach the seats. Is there any chance of saving it. It's a 2006 pontiac G6, which until this point had no problems. Where should I begin?
Category: Car
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.
This is a big problem and I would really recommend that you first remove the spark plugs and turn the engine over by hand to see if there are any signs of water within the cylinders. It would not take much for water to be sucked into the air intake system and cause serious damage to the engine internals as well as the electronics that control the engine start etc. If there is water within the cylinders it could certainly stop the enigne from cranking as the water would not compress as the air does. This basically locks the engine up and if the water went into the engine while running, it can cause catastrophic engine failure for sure. I would also check the oil, if not drain the oil to verify that there are no signs of moisture or overfilling of the oil that would show that water got into this point also. Either way getting into water with a car with this many electronic devices is surely a serious problem and honestly most insurance companies total a car after this type of damage just due to the cost of the electronics that may have been damaged. Feel free to contact me with any questions or findings and I will assist you as best as possible!
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience: ASE CERTIFICATION