David, Hot Rod Shop Owner
Experience:  10 years in automotive industry from oil changes to complete vehicle design and fabrication.

2000 Eclipse: Cyl..I put it in drive it seems to start off in 4th gear

I just bought a 2000 Eclipse 2.0 4 Cyl w/automatic transmission. When I put it in drive it seems to start off in 4th gear. It has the slap shifter to the right and I can not get it in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd that way. It has an electrical thing on the side of the shifetr housing for that. The transmission will shift fine with the linkage disconnected.
Category: Car
Expert:  David replied 7 years ago.
This sounds like a malfunction in the sequential shift controller. I would trace the wires as far as possible and check for any damage. Beyond that any deeper circuitry diagnosis would need to be done in person. See if there is a local shop that specializes in electrical if that is the case. One last note, make sure you THOROUGHLY check ALL fuses before digging too deep. Some people open the fuse box, look at it and say they are all good. I had a customer spend $2,200.00 at another shop with no results on a non running car and I replaced a fuse for her for $10 bucks and got the car on the road. Thank you and good luck.