Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

1999 Subaru Impreza: first gear (very rough shift from a stop..TCM

1999 Subaru Impreza with 4EAT transmission. "Bangs" when going into first gear (very rough shift from a stop into first). I was thinking of throwing a new TCM at the problem. Am I on the right track? Thanks!
Hi there! Is it banging due a hesitation prior to going into gear? Is it when you shift from park to drive or when you are setting at a light?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi!

Prior to going into gear. Guaranteed to happen on first start of the day; sometimes happens at stop lights.

Sorry, lost my connection. So you are feeling this after shifting from park. I would not change the TCM. We see this problem pretty frequesntly and the problem is actually caused by a seal inside the transmission leaking
Best repair is normally a used transmission. We were even doing this at the dealership, the cost to actually take the transmission apart to fix it is 22 hours labor. Huge dollars!
Best to let it go until it gets real bad then do something with a replacement.
If there is a rough 1-2 upshift, there is a differebnt external part that can be changed. Hope this helps! Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The seal cannot be accessed after dropping the pan?
No, it is a square cut seal inside one of the clutch drums. Deep inside the transmissions. Subaru even had us replace the transmissions under warranty when this happened. Put subaru remans in them.