greg, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ase tech 10+ yrs with saturn and chevy

2002 GMC 1500 series: check engine local mechanic..fuel pump

My sons 2002 GMC 1500 series truck wont pass emissions, the check engine light remains on after my local mechanic replaced a fuel pump. We took the truck back in and he said he would have to order a new "vent" because it had seized up. I have already spent over 600. with the install of a new fuel pump and diagnostics. Does this seem logical and how much can I expect to spend this time?
Category: Car
Expert:  greg replied 7 years ago.
hi steve was he talking about the vent solenoid? Also why did they replace the fuel pump?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Not sure exactly what vent he was refering to. Prior to us taking in the vehicle it stalled and wouldn't start again.We had to tow it to our mechanic and after 100. worth of diagnostics he said it was the fuel pump.
Expert:  greg replied 7 years ago.
did you have a check engine light on before it died? The vent i think he is talking about is the solenoid for the emission system the part should be about $35 and you can istall it yourself.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks Greg the check engine light was NOT on before we took it in???

I'm wondering if a problem occured while installing the new fuel pump and why it wasn't picked up in the original diagnostics they performed???
Expert:  greg replied 7 years ago.
hate to say it steve but i have seen these broke when lowering the tank because techs forget to unhook them. But it is possible it just stopped working. If you take it back there ask to see the old part and labor is only one hour dont let them tell you otherwise please click the accept button and thanks greg ps it is easy to change if you dont mind sliding under the truck