Alex Armfield
Alex Armfield, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I have 8 years of experience and specialize in high end euro cars.
10873596

The tranny in my 1999 626..check engine light..light wont..code says

Customer Question

The tranny in my 1999 626 was converted from auto to manual and now the check engine light won't go off. The code says "see mftr." I now need to smog it for registration and it obviously won't pass so how can I get the light off to pass smog?
Category: Car
Expert:  Alex Armfield replied 7 years ago.

HelloCustomer

the light is setting because the computer is looking for inputs from the auto transmission that its not seeing now. At the very minimum, you're going to have to replace the compter with one from a manual car, and you may have to replace the wiring harness as well.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
That has already been done, MORE THAN TWICE. The alarm that is built into the car prohibits any other computer from working as I already stated. NO matter what we've done it has'nt worked. This was all done by a 30 year VETERAN, the only reason I'm asking is becausze he's out of ideas and it's crunch time.

okay then, that information did not show up initially for me. What are the failure codes stored in the compter that are causing the light to be on?