George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist

My 99 Galants SRS light stays on while engine is running and

My 99 Galant's SRS light stays on while engine is running and I lost my horn too. What do I do?
Category: Car
Expert:  George H. replied 7 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

It sounds as if your clock spring has failed. You will need to read the codes for your airbag system to be sure but the combination of your horn not working and the SRS light being on sounds to me like the clockspring connector that allows an electricl connection between the horn switch and airbag and the rest of the vehicle has failed.

If you have questions I will be able to provide more information in a little while, my information server is down and I cannot access diagrams or code information at this time. I will post the clockspring diagram as soon as the server comes back up

Expert:  George H. replied 7 years ago.

Here is the diagram that shows what is broken (#5)

Let me know if you have questions

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Could this also cause my cruise control goes dead?
Expert:  George H. replied 7 years ago.
Yes any controls that are on the steering wheel cannot get their signat to the rest of the car because the connection in the clockspring is broken.