Amedee
Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

94 saturn: sedan has a prob..relay under the hood in the fuse box

Customer Question

My 94 saturn sedan has a prob with the cooling fan, I have replaced the fan motor, the ects, and the relay under the hood in the fuse box. The 30 amp fuse is good and still the cooling fan will not run unless I hardwire from the radio fuse inside the car to the hot sie of the relay switch or the hot wire to the fan.   HELPPPPP!
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.

Hello!

Check the coolant temp sensor on the side of the head. They crack all the time causing the fan not to come on. I believe there is even a Technical Service bulletin out about this problem.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is that the switch just above and forward of the ects?
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I already installed a new one, that is the ects
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
Are you sure you replaced the one for the computer?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I dont know I replaced the fan motor, the ects, the relay switch dedicated for the cooling fan and the 30 amp fuse for the cooling fan
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
Single overhead cam or Dual overhead cam motor?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
DOHC
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
Was it the top sensor or bottom sensor that you replaced?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I replaced the bottom one I guess its called the ect (not ects) definitely the bottom one
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.

Ok... good! That would be the correct one!

Lets check for power and ground at the fan while the engine isstarting to get really hot.

We must figure out what we are missing... power or ground

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
if I remove the circuit breaker and I jump from the hot side of the circuit breaker plug to the fan it turns on. if I try shorting with the ground via test light it also has a ground so I think we are missing hot. I dont knoe if this matters but I have to do the same thing (hot lead) to make the a/c and the traction control work. the horn works fine though.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
DOes the cooling fan relay have two powers going into it with the key on?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There is a ground (marked with a-) toward the fire wall on the driver side side I have a hot that works; to the passenger side Ihave what appears to be a dead hole and facing the radiator I have the power from the relay to the fan itself. I get response from all but the passenger side hole
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
You have power to the fan? I thought you just said you do not have power...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have power to the relay switch, I have to put a jumper wire from the slot closest to the driver side to the slot toward the front or radiator and the fan comes on but wont go off, so I jumped from the switching side of my radio fuse into the forward slot of the relay so the fan turns on and off with the key. but there is def 1 good power line TO the RELAY but for some reason the power does not leave the relay, I know the relay is good and I am concerned about the dead slot toward the pass side as I get nothing and I think this is a power transfer lead but I am not sure

Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
The power is not leaving the relay because the computer is not grounding the relay. As long as there is two power wires at the relay, we are just missing a ground from the computer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am a DIY er so in laymans terms what do I do?
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
IF the Relay has two power and you can ground the wire coming from the computer at the relay (with the relay plugged in) and the fan comes on, the only problem we are having is that for some reason the computer is not turning grounding you relay. Then we must double check your new coolant temp sensor and be sure all the wires are good going to and coming from your computer on that circuit.
Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX try it
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the accept!

Let me know!