Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.

1998 Subaru Legacy GT: automatic..little rough..second gear

I am looking at a 1998 Subaru Legacy GT sedan. The car is an automatic, and the transmission shifts a little rough from first to second gear. One mechanic told me that this is normal for that year and make of Subaru. What is your opinion?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
Hi there! By rough, do you mean it is slamming into gear? Also, it the A/T temp light on or flashing?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No. It doesn't slam into gear. It is just a little jolt. The temp light is not on. It isn't that bad. I just wanted to know if you've heard of this problem before with this make/model car.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
A little jolt is not uncommon. If it were slaming into gear that might indicate a problem with the dropping resistor. It is an externally mounted resistor that lowers the line pressure so you don't feel the shift shock from the 1-2 upshift. If the A/T light is not on, then I would say you are feeling normal shifting on this model. Hope this helps! Thanks