Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

1999 forester: sohc..water pump..timing belt and a idler bearing

I have a 1999 Fiorester with the 2.5 SOHC and the water pump seized and mangled the timing belt and a idler bearing. What should I do now that I have the belt off ? What should I check ?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
HI there! As long as you replace the water pump and siezed pulley you should be fine. If the belt broke while you were traveling you may have bent some of the valves. The quickest way to find out is to put the new belt on and see if the engine idles ok. If not then the valves are likely bent. Hope this helps! Please reply if needed. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

If the valves are bent hen is the engine ruined ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The belt never actually broke.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
If the valves are bent then the heads are ruined. As long as they didn't destroy the pistons. It would probably be easiest to replace the entire engine with a used engine. I have seen it not destroy the engine in the past, however so I always at least do the timing belt to determine if it has. You can always install the new belt into a used replacement engine if needed.
Just got your reply. If the belt lost any teeth then it is the same as breaking. It will throw the timing out.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience: 25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.