Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.

Towed..dealership..they replaced the timing belt, crank sensor

while traveling, my car recently stalled out on me and had to be towed to the dealership. They said my timing belt snapped. they replaced the timing belt, crank sensor, and checked the engine light which revealed an evap code. A couple days later my car started to sputter while at rest at stoplights. i took my car to a local firestone who said that it could be the evap code, or the dealership could have put the belt on wrong or not replaced a valve that could have been bent or it could be something called a torque converter in the transmission. My car was not doing this before the timing belt was replaced. The dealership said they did not check the valves while they were in there replacing the timing belt. I've already spent 1400.00 on my car getting new spark plugs, wires, fuel induction, tranny flush, timing belt, etc. Is there any way to diagnose the problem without spending another 1500 just to look at it?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
HI there! So the car is sputtering and the only code you are showing is for the evap? Just want to make certain I have all the info straight. Also, this did not happen right after the belt was changed? Took a couple of days?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It seems to be getting worse with everyday. I drove it eight more hours on the highway right after they replaced the belt. So I wasn't stopping at redlights. then I had a couple days off before I had to work again and that's when I noticed it while sitting at the red light. It only does it while its idling. It started out as every 5 min or so, then progressively worse to every couple of seconds now. I noticed that the car was idling lower when I got it back. yes, the only code is for the evap.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
OK, they can check for bent valves either with a compression test or a leak down test. This should not cost you $1,500 dollars. To spend that much, they want to take the head off and look at the valves. This is not required to check the valves.
It is possible the timing belt has slipped. I would say it is quite likely in fact, because you would normally have a code for a misfire in the system if it was an electrical issue such as plugs or coils.
Another possible problem could be the IAC control. It can be removed and cleaned and reinstalled as a test and see if the car idles any better, however it would be a heck of a coincidence.
They could also check the timing to determine if the belt has slipped, again no $1,500. Might cost that much to resove the problem, but not that much just to diagnose it.
Hope this helps! Thanks