Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

1991 Subaru Loyale: automatic..4wd..the shifting from park to neutral

I have a 1991 Subaru Loyale, automatic, 4wd on-demand. When trying to start it in the past six months, I would get no sound when starting in park, however, when I moved auto stick to neutral it would start up. This only happened periodically, i.e. the shifting from park to neutral to start it. Two months ago, I starting hearing a humming sound while driving it and then a month ago when I tried starting it in park, I got a clanging sound and I couldn't shift it out of park. Any ideas on what the problem might be?

Hello!

It sounds like the starter and or the neutral safety switch is bad. The neutral safety switch will cause it not to start in park and start it neutral. The starter sounds like its bad causing your grinding noise. The humming noise sounds like it may be bad wheel bearings.