Frank
Frank, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  33 years experience,25 with GM,14 ASE certifications,
1816887

im working..bushings..coil springs to install them back in

Customer Question

I'm working on a 77' Delta 88. I replaced the bushings on the upper and lower control arms. I am having a problem compressing the coil springs to install them back in. Is there a special spring compressor that I need to use to compress the springs?
Category: Car
Expert:  Frank replied 5 years ago.
Hre is a old trick- attach the lower ball joint to the lower control arm-place the spring in the control arm and use a floor jack on the inside of the lower control arm and jack it up into place and install the lower control arm bushing bolts.Get the jack toward the inside as far as you can and you'll have to off set it on the arm as the arm will try to twist and moving the jack will cure that-jack it up and horse it into place.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I've tried to do that some what. I did that but with out installing the lower ball joint to the lower control arm. When I was jacking it up, it started lifting the front end up off the jack stands.
Expert:  Frank replied 5 years ago.
With the ball joing connected and the jack at the inner bushing you can get the arms in without a compressor-even if there is no engine in it.Let the arm pivot on the lower control arm-been doing it for years om everything from cars to one tons.
Frank, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 33 years experience,25 with GM,14 ASE certifications,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
awesome, I will definately do that, I think my problem was I had nothing supporting the lower control arm. I was just doing it with the control not connected to anything. Thank you very much, this is a really nice site. Will use it all the time now!!!!
Expert:  Frank replied 5 years ago.

Your welcome-just jack it up slowly and pry the arm into the frame-it will want to go under insread of in and a big pry bar will move it around.