Frank, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  33 years experience,25 with GM,14 ASE certifications,

1986 Olds 98: once warmed up Check engine light comes..loses..idling

Customer Question

1986 Olds 98 has new engine in January, reman ECM. Runs great except once warmed up Check engine light comes on and blinks rapidly, and when it does, the engine stays running, but loses all power, then after a while of idling, the light will stop flashing and it drives fine again. It doesn't happen all the time. I pulled two codes, 12 and 51. It is my understanding that 12 is normal and 51 is the PROM. The car has now had two ECMs replaced over 160,000 miles, the current ECM has only been in for 3 months. Any thoughts???
Category: Car
Expert:  Frank replied 7 years ago.
The sign of a bad ecm is a blinking ses light and a ecm or prom can throw a 51.Make sure that the prom is seated.If your not using a delco ecm-get one-and when you put the prom in,use the side arms to pull it in and latch it down-DONT PUSH ON THE PROM-that will crack the board.