Mike the Mechanic
Mike the Mechanic, ASE/GM MASTER/WORLD CLASSTECH
Experience:  GM Master since 96, ASE advacned level engine diagnosis (L1). Bumper to Bumper tech.
4232346

2002 Saturn: My check engine light came on..Auto Zone..cap

2002 Saturn SL 1; My check engine light came on. Took car to Auto Zone- the as cap was loose. Same thing happened again. Replaced gas cap. Will light eventually go off by itself- or do I have to take it to someone to have it reset
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike the Mechanic replied 5 years ago.
If the gas cap was the actual problem, the check engine light will go out after the engine computer has run the evap leak test and it passes 2 times in a row. The computer may not run the test every time you drive and may take a few trips before the test runs, but if the problem was fixed, then yes the light will go out. It would be quicker to have auto zone clear the code, that way if the cap was not the correct repair, you will know when the check engine light comes back on, if you dont have it cleared, you may be playing the waitin game, to see if the light goes out.

The code that they found was a evap system leak code, they told you that the gas cap is the cause, unless they test the cap, its just a guess. The code means there is a leak in the fuel system, may not be a gas leak but a fuel vapor leak, poosibly the canister or other system component. I would have the code cleared, and if the light comes back on, you will have to have a shop run a leak test to find out whats leaking, or even if there is a leak and not a failed sensor or valve that is causing the light to come on. If you need more info, let me know.
Experience: GM Master since 96, ASE advacned level engine diagnosis (L1). Bumper to Bumper tech.