Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE master, 30+ years. All makes and models. Trouble shooter, shop forman, service manager

how to replace a/c and alt. belt on 2005 kia sedona.

Customer Question

Category: Car
Expert:  Jerry replied 7 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

Here are the instructions for the belt.

Removal & Installation

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Rotate the auto tensioner clockwise to release tension, then remove the drive belt.

To install:

1. Install drive belt (A). Route the belt over the components in the following order: Crankshaft pulley - A/C pulley - idler pulley - generator pulley - water pump pulley - P/S pump pulley - tensioner pulley.
  2. Rotate auto tensioner arm in the counter-clockwise moving auto tensioner pulley bolt with wrench.
  3. After putting belt on auto tensioner pulley, release the auto tensioner pulley slowly.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

which is the auto tensioner on the image.

Expert:  Jerry replied 7 years ago.
Sorry, on the A/C belt it is the small pulley just under the front engine mount.

On the power steering it is the small one as well.

After installing the belt loosening the adjustment bolt counter clockwise at the "Q" arrow indication, apply tension to the belt by tightening the bolt clockwise. NOTE: When adjusting belt tension, adjust it only after tightening the bolt lightly not making tension pulley eccentric.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
by meaning sorry you mean it is very dificult to get to and complit job?
Expert:  Jerry replied 7 years ago.
No, I just meant sorry that it was not clear in the first picture. The labor is a half hour for the alternator belt and .3 for the power steering belt. It is just a little tight in there, but not very complicated to do. Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How would I rotate the auto tensioner and with what kind of tool?
Expert:  Jerry replied 7 years ago.
If I remember right on the alternator. ac belt it should be a 15mm, (might be a 14mm) and on the power steering, you will want to loosen the lock nut on the front and then loosen from the adjustment bolt. Here is another picture of it, where you can see through the pulley.