Alex Armfield
Alex Armfield, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I have 8 years of experience and specialize in high end euro cars.
10873596

2000 Mazda 626: cyl..wont start..alternator..fuel pump..a fuel cut

Customer Question

2000 Mazda 626 4 cyl won't start after replacing the alternator and fuel pump. Is there a fuel cut off switch?
Category: Car
Expert:  Alex Armfield replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer

your mazda does have a fuel pump relay, it is located behind the passenger kick panel.

i'm not, however, aware of any fuel cut off switch on your car.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Are you talking about under the dash on the passenger side? I removed the panel right below the glove box and there was a round black thing about 6 in wide. Is this relay square of what does it look like??

not really under the dash, on the right side kick panel below the dash.

I was just looking through some manuals and saw that there is a switch mid year on the 2000 626 that moved the fuel pump relay to under the hood in the fuse box behind the battery but for most of the year it is under the kick panel.

also, the relay should be pretty small and may be rounded instead of completely square.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The manufacturer date of 11/99 if that helps any. I looked on the right kick panel and there are two sets of wires and plugs going to probably door controls or speakers. I also have looked in the fuse box under the hood and there isn't a relay that says fuel pump relay. Orielly parts store said there wasn't a relay in there system but they did find a replacement fuel cut off switch.
Keep in mind that this happened after my wife was driving and the belt broke she tried to give it gas and it wouldn't go anymore so she pulled over and turned the car off.    I replace the alternator and it wouldn't start. I also tried jumping with my truck so it had plenty of juice for starting.

I have to go to a meeting now for 1 and 1/2 hours. I'll be back then okay?

Sounds good.

With the information you are giving me, is it possible she overheated the engine?

Alex Armfield, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: I have 8 years of experience and specialize in high end euro cars.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes it's possible. I also talked with a friend at the meeting and he said that he thought it ruined the head if she ran it without the belt which turns the alt and the water pump. My wife told me that there was billowing smoke coming out of the hood when she stopped. Thank you for your input. God Bless. Now I have to consider replacing the engine or buying a new car.

Yeah, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it is likely that the engine is toast. The good news is that the engine in your car was used for many years in mazda vehicles and also in some fords (probe mainly).

If you are up to the swap, its not a hard one to do as far as engines go and the motors are fairly cheap!

Good luck with the work!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well after I filled the radiator with water and tried to start it the fuel pump started pumping but it still didn't start. Can you tell me what the timing should be set at. When I checked it, it was at 11.
Is it possible to check out the head and replace it only or could it have done more damage? Is the best option to replace the motor?
Customer

If the engine was overheated to the point that it actually stopped running, its probably going to be best to fit a replacement engine. You can check out the head and you may get by with just having the head re-surfaced and replacing the head gasket, but if it got that hot, there is a signifigant chance that the main and crankshaft bearings suffered damage and you'll be spending much time and money to find out that the engine is still toast. The ignition timing shouldn't be an issue in this case and i'm really not thinking that it jumped main timing either, it just sounds like the accessory belt broke and wiped out the motor with it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am wondering why it won't start though. You would think it would start up even if the head was bad. I also don't see any water in the oil. She did say that she saw the battery light come on and tried to call my cell phone for around 5 to 10 minutes. She pulled over when   it wouldn't accelerate by pushing the gas pedal. When she stopped smoke or steam came out from the hood. There was water on the pavement that probably came out of the water pump seal.
It shouldn't be that hard to take the head off should it? What would it cost to have the head re-surfaced? I will also call blaine's motor in Dallas to see what a refurbished engine would be and the cost of someone putting it in. Oooh boy what a mess but like you said it's had a long life. I've got 160000 miles on it and no major problems accept a cv joint. Thanks for your replies.