stin1974
stin1974, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Domestic transmission diagnostics and troubleshooting. General repair diagnostics and troubleshoot.
2267585

How do you fix the problem code p0463 on an 2002 isuzu rodeo?

Category: Car
Expert:  stin1974 replied 5 years ago.
P0463
Notes

DTC P0463 Fuel Level Sensor Circuit-High Voltage

Wiring Diagram

Circuit Description
The fuel level sensor is an important input to powertrain control module (PCM) for the enhanced evaporative system diagnostic. Fuel level information is needed for the PC to know the volume of fuel in the tank. The fuel level affects the rate of change in air pressure in the evaporative system. Several of the enhanced evaporative system diagnostic sub-tests are dependent upon correct fuel level information. The diagnostic will not run when the tank is greater than 85% or less than 15%, full. Fuel level DTCs should be diagnosed before other evaporative system DTCs because they can cause other DTCs to be set.

The sending unit is a float in the fuel tank which moves a wiper arm across a variable resistor. High fuel level causes low resistance in the sending unit. This is recognized by the PCM because the circuit operates at a corresponding high voltage. When the circuit is continuously shorted to a voltage source greater than a specified value, or when the 5 volt signal is shorted to ground, DTC P0463 is set.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

• Fuel tank level "slosh test" is completed.
  • Fuel tank level "main test" is completed.
  • Fuel tank level data is valid.
  • Fuel tank level signal is greater than a specified value.
  • There are 100 test failures within a 200-test sample.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

• The PCM will ON the MIL after second trip with detected fault.
  • The PCM will store conditions which were present when the DTC was set as Freeze Frame and in the Failure Records data.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

• The PCM will turn the MIL "OFF" after three consecutive trips without a fault condition present. A history DTC will be cleared if no fault conditions have been detected for 40 warm-up cycles (engine coolant temperature has risen 4 °C (40 °F) from the start-up ECT, and ECT exceeds 71 °C (160 °F) during that same ignition cycle) or the scan tool clearing function has been used.
  • DTC P0463 can be cleared by using the scan tool "Clear Info" function or by disconnecting the PCM battery feed.

Diagnostic Aids

• Damaged harness - Inspect the wiring harness for damage. If the harness appears to be OK, observe the fuel level display on the scan tool while moving connectors and wiring harnesses related to the sensor. A change in the display will indicate the location of the fault.

Step 1 - 2

Step 3 - 9

Test Description
Number(s) below refer to the step number(s) on the Diagnostic Chart:

1. The ETC and MAP sensors share a ground at PCM terminal D9.
  1. Equates the resistance values at various float positions to the following fuel gauge readings:
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

can you maker this any clear.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Should this work be completed by the dealer?
Expert:  stin1974 replied 5 years ago.
No not necessarily. Its really not all that complicated and in my opinion dealers are overpriced and under skilled. For warranty work yes but other than that you can find a lot better price other places.
stin1974, Auto Service Technician
Experience: Domestic transmission diagnostics and troubleshooting. General repair diagnostics and troubleshoot.