Kenny
Kenny, Technician
Experience:  BMW Master Certifed level 1 Technican
14969438

1999 SAAB: headlight..bulb and was told its an electrical problem

Customer Question

I have a 1999 SAAB 9-3 and a headlight was out. I replaced the bulb and was told it's an electrical problem. I was given a quote of $350.00 to fix the problem. Does that sound like a reasonable amount to fix the problem? Thank you for your assistance.
Category: Car
Expert:  Kenny replied 7 years ago.
This all depends on what they are quoting you to fix. A new lamp module, xenon, a switch, or a intensive wiring repair then it is in the ball park. If it is a minor wiring repair then it is a little steep.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My mechanic said it was the switch that need to be replaced. So if it is the switch, wouldn't both headlights not work? And is $350.00 just a little steep? I've ben a very loyal customer to this one mechanic for many years. About 15 years. He is expensive and I know that however, with these tough economic times I can't afford to be taken advantage of. I recently ( 1 month ago) paid him over $1,600.00 to replace the shocks and struts to the front of the SAAB in question.    Many thanks for your response.
Expert:  Kenny replied 7 years ago.

I think a good chunk of that cost is related to the cost of the part. He does sound like a fair price maybe a little high. The headlights are both controlled by the switch but it has separate circuits for each one, So one could fail and not effect the other. Seeing how you are such a loyal customer and that you have recently spent so much there I would ask for a discount, You could ask for the part at cost.