mastertech
mastertech, master technician shop foreman
Experience:  25 years experience mazda master technician shop foreman, please hit accept , many users do not pay
12017465

1998 Mazda Millenia S: auto transmission..shift..2nd to 3rd

I have a 1998 Mazda Millenia S auto transmission. It will shift from 1st to 2nd, but not from 2nd to 3rd.
Category: Car
Expert:  mastertech replied 7 years ago.
did the tranny operate fine before you removed it for repair? If so you have to look at what you have done or not done to this point....................the repairs that u did would not cause this problem......................but forgetting to plug something in like the speed sensor or another electrical connector could....................is the linkage adjusted correctly? If u used an impact gun on any of the trans linkage you could have damaged or bent something....................look at what you took apart and re-assembled to do the job, it will most likely be something that was touched doing the job. Is there any CEL's on ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No CEL's. Have double checked wiring, linkage, etc. Am beginning to think that the problem existed fbefore the seal blew, as my girl friend had been driving the car for a few weeks before the seal problem developed. She said that she didn't notice anything unusual, but ??. Service CD shows, if I rememger correctly, 5 solenoids that control the transmission. However, it does not identify them in detail, or say what each does, or indicate wiring color codes, etc. I am looking for some detail on this particular trans.

if you had an electrical problem with a trans solenoid there should be cel on or a od light flashing etc..............................what happens when you run the car at speed does it try to shift to third or just hang in second until rpm redline...................usually they will try to shift and then slip when entering the problem gear...................99 percent of the trans problems that we see are with failed hard parts and not electrical problems , solenoids etc.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry I havent gotten back to you earlier. The trans goes to 2nd normally, but does not attempt to shift up. If you let up on the gas, it freeweels, and the gear reingages when you bring the rpm back up to the right rpm for the speed.
sounds to me like you have no third gear........................when you let up it is probably trying to find third and when you apply throttle again it kicks down to second..................when most japan built mazda transaxles fail they loose third gear..................hope this helps, good luck.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If the transaxle has failed, then the trans will have to be rebuilt. I live in Houston, TX, but in the Clear Lake Area, close to Webster, League City, and Friendswood. Do you have any suggestions where I should take it, or probable cost?
none..............sorry not from your area................that trans is only used in that model so it will most likely be on the pricey side to repair...............good luck.