Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor

2003 kia sedona: van..the front hub and wheel bearing..half shaft

Customer Question

On a 2003 kia sedona van does the front hub and wheel bearing have to be pressed off the half shaft.
Category: Car
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.

No. Spray hub and axle shaft with penetrating oil(I prefer PB Blaster) and allow it to soak. Then, loosely reinstall axle nut a few turns until it is flush with end of shaft and use a brass hammer to hit axle shaft nut to loosen axle shaft from hub:

You can also attach a hub puller to the wheel lugs and turn the center piece in which will push the axle shaft out of hub.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have already done all of those things and it will not come off. Even the puller does not seem to be doing it.
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.

You havent mushroomed the end of th shaft have you?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
not at all I used a rubber hammer and then a puller the shaft has not moved at all. I will try soaking it longer with the penetrating fluid you suggested. I used penetrox it has always worked in the past.
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.

It makes a world of difference. PB Blaster is a little more expensive(about $6 a can) but is what most techs swear by:

The above was from a guy who had spent two days trying to get a crankshaft pulley off.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'll let you know how it turns out thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
this thing will not come off. I used the Blast stuff let it sit for several hours. Went and got another puller tried it am I missing something. This is exactly what I did; removed the wheel

removed the 2 bolts that hold on the brake caliper and hung it off to the side with a wire.

removed the kotter pin and nut from the rod end and with a fork tool seperated the joint.

removed the 2 nuts from the strut bracket.

removed the pinch bolt from the lower swivel joint.

removed the large nut from the end of the shaft.

then used a rubber hammer to try and remove the shaft

then sprayed penetrox on the shaft and tried a 3 armed puller

then sprayed the blast stuff and let it set and tried a hub puller

THEN SAID A BUNCH OFF WORDS I GENERALLY DON'T SAY AND WROTE TO YOU AGAIN. Is there a retainer clip or a bolt somewhere.
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.

Directions straight from Kia service manual:

1.Raise vehicle and support it with safety stand.
2.Loosen four wheel nuts.
3.Remove wheel and tire.
4.Loosen a lock nut and two brake rotor screws.
5.Remove brake caliper assembly and disk plate.
Do not damage dust boot.
6.Loosen and remove nut and disconnect tie rod end with SST(0K130 283 021).

7.Disconnect stabilizer bar with control link on lower control arm.
8.Remove the lower arm ball joint bolt and nut from steering knuckle.

Use caution when seperating lower arm from steering knuckle, so ball joint seal does not get cut.
9.Using a pry bar, seperate steering knuckle from lower arm.

10.Remove suspension assembly from steering knuckle.
11.Pull steering knuckle by hands to seperate steering knuckle and driveshaft.

12.Inspect all parts and repair or replace as necessary.

It looks like you have followed their directions to a T. I have had one or two over the years that the only I got the CV axle out is to remove spindle with axle and press out because they were simply seized inside the hub. If the PB Blaster didnt help and it wont come out with a press, this is probably your last option at this point

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
does the axle just slide out or is it a long process. Does it require me pulling engine or trans.
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.

You use a prybar between the transaxle and cv shaft and pop the shaft out. You have everything removed that you need to in order to remove the shaft:

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok there is a short shaft that comes out of the trans then a carrier type bearing then the 1st boot on the shaft that goes into the hub. is this where the shaft should seperate.Doesw the boot need to be removed. When I pull on the assembly it strecthes the boot.
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.

Sorry, gave you for driver's side. On the passenger side, use a punch to hammer the axle shaft out of the center bearing: