BigBob, Shop Manager/Technician
Experience:  Shop Manager with 25 years experience

what does code p1404 mean on a 2002 kia spectra

Category: Car
Expert:  BigBob replied 7 years ago.

This could get very involved to checkout, but code P1404 is for a problem with the evaporative system diagnostic leak detection module heater control circuit.

1. The leak detection module is located under the vehicle by the fuel tank and has a 4-cavity connector. It is used to test the evaporative system for leaks after the engine is off and it pumps pressure into the system to look for leaks and the heater keeps moisture from freezing in the unit. First verify there is good battery voltage to the 4-cavity connector on the Red/Yellow wire with the ignition on. If there is a voltage problem check the wire harness and connections.

2. If the voltage is good the Engine Control Module (ECM) will ground the Blue/Black wire and the heater should operate and draw approximately 0.3 amps of current flow. Check the wire harness and connection if the heater circuit works and draws the correct amperage when the Blue/Black wire is grounded.

3. If the heater is faulty in the leak detection pump then replace the pump assembly
It is common for harness colors to not be correct on a Kia vehicle. If there is good voltage to the leak detection module, back probe and ground one wire and the pump should run, ground another wire and the solenoid should click and the 3rd wire is for the heater circuit.

Good luck,

Let me know if I can help further.

please don’t forget to accept, I don’t get paid until you do