Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair
13677702

I have a 1994 Seville SLS with a northstar engine. I had an

I have a 1994 Seville SLS with a northstar engine. I had an issue with the cluster. Disconnected the battery and corrected the issue with the cluster. Reconnected the battery and now there is a code P0083. I have replaced the crank sensors, load tested all the wiring. This code did not set until after I had driven the car over 20 miles after fixing the cluster issue. I feel it has something to do with the battery disconnect. Any ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.

Unsure of relationship of p0083 and disconnecting battery but below is the diag chart. Hope you can read it as some times pix do not go through. All indications are you still have a problem with one of the crank sensors, Ignition module or wiring. The only way to find out is to follow the diag tree. Really no guessing permitted on this one. I f I had to? the ignition module maybe.

Notes

DTC PO83: Part 1 Of 2

DTC PO83: Part 2 Of 2

PCM Ignition Circuit

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
This diagnostic test checks for 24X signal at a logic high condition. The fault could be induced by the failure of either Crankshaft Position A or B Sensor input signal to the Ignition Control Module (ICM) . Under such a condition, the ICM would force the 24X signal high. This test also checks for 24X shorted to battery externally. If either condition is met, Code P083 is set.

TEST CONDITIONS

1. Code PO35 is not set.
  2. Engine speed greater than 496 rpm and less than 1200 rpm.
  3. Number of CAM pulses since key "ON" is 7 or greater.
  4. Ignition control not in bypass.

FAILURE CONDITIONS
24X signal at a logic HI and no 24X reference pulses received since last CAM pulse.

ACTION TAKEN
PCM turns "ON" the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) (Service Engine Soon).

NOTES ON FAULT TREE
(Part 1 of 2)

1. Checking if Code P035 is set because a REF LO problem can cause other ignition problems.
  2. If the engine stalls, the problem is with crankshaft position "B" sensor because the engine will remain running with only one crankshaft sensor.
  3. Checking crankshaft position "B" sensor and circuitry for opens or shorts. The correct resistance should be between 800 ohms and 1600 ohms.
  4. Checking if CKT 470 or CKT 1800 is shorted to ground. If CKT is shorted to ground it will measure less than 100 ohms.
  5. If the sensor is able to produce a DC voltage greater than 0.25 volt, the sensor is OK. (Part 2 of 2)
  6. If engine stalls, the problem is with crankshaft position "A" sensor. If the engine remains running, the ignition control module or CKT 647 are shorted high.
  7. Checking crankshaft position "A" sensor and circuitry for opens or shorts. The correct resistance should be between 800 ohms and 1600 ohms.
  8. Checking if CKT 573 or CKT 574 is shorted to ground. If the CKT is shorted to ground it will measure less than 100 ohms.
  9. If the sensor is able to produce a DC voltage greater than 0.25 volt the sensor is OK.
  10. Checking if CKT 647 is shorted high or if the ICM is keeping it high. If you measure greater than 0 Hertz, the ICM and CKT 647 are OK, the fault is intermittent.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have already ran the test and did not find any issues. I am wondering if there are any concerns with disconnecting the cluster possible causing this issue. Let me know if you have any other ideas.
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.

If you have run the above test step by step it had to lead you to something that is causing the po 83 code unless it was/ intermittant problem. Considering the cluster is controlled by the BCM and the sensors etc for engine are PCM probably not but anything is possible when it comes to bad grounds etc..If you accurately followed the above test and hit the end with intermittant fault. nothing more you can do till it becomes a hard fault or you catch it in the act,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I ran the test without any failures and the light is staying on. I have heard that these vehicles sometimes need an idle relearn. I performed one off of the net and it did not solve the concern. I am not sure if it was the correct one.
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
The code does not peratin to an idle relearn at all. Did you clear the codes and it keeps coming back? if so , again, you have an intermittant problem that may hard to catch without replacing the ignition module. Idle learn will not throw the po 83
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I clear the codes with the tech2 and they come right back. The big issue that I have is this vehicle came into my shop with an AC concern. I had to disconnect the battery and pull the dash and now this is happening. Why would an ignition module fry from what I did, or was it something that was on the way out and just went after the other repair?
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.

I really do not have any answer. Where is the diag chart taking you after you do all the jumper tests?

Like you, I have pulled amny a dash and anything could have happened. A wire broke, got pinched etc. I just do not have an answer to this problem. Are you sure the light was not coming on before?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It leads me to test the resistance on terminal E. In all the time that I had it running prior to reinstalling the dash it did not set the light. I drove it for 20 miles after it was put back together with no codes. I have repulled the dash, ran a jumper to the PCM, load tested the wires, replaced the crank sensors. I am pulling my hair out on this one. It seems to be worse when it is cold. I used my choke tester to cool the ignition module to see if it caused the code to reset, it did not. This thing is eating my lunch. I ma ready to take it to a dealer and tell them to fix it. It has taken over 10 hours of my time in the past week and the module has a $457 price tag. I would hate to install it and have that not fix the issue.

Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
I am sorry I could not help. Hard not being there. Some wire or something must have failed, pinched etc... I wish you luck as I have been there. I am going to opt out and let another expert take over. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for you input. I have purchase an after market ICM and will see if that works. I will let you know if it does.
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
Love to know,. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Not sure if I ever let you know that the aftermarket ICM fixed this issue
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
I appreciate knowing this. I kind of though on that line but why? As you know, anything can happen. Good luck and take care, Thanks
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry it took me so long to get back with you. I appreciate all the time that you spent working on this with me. I am going to accept for all the time that you spent on this one.