Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION
3903212

98 Olds Bravada: set timing..4.3L..V6 engine..the distributor

Customer Question

What is the procedure to set timing on a 98 Olds Bravada, 4.3L V6 engine? Cannot get the distributor back in the engine in correct time.
Category: Car
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.

Here is the best way I can tell you to reinstall the distributor after this type of problem has occured.

Object Number: 334551  Size: SH

Important: The engine front cover has 2 alignment tabs and the crankshaft balancer has 2 alignment marks (spaced 90 degrees apart) which are used for positioning number 1 piston at top dead center (TDC). With the piston on the compression stroke and at top dead center, the crankshaft balancer alignment mark (1) must align with the engine front cover tab (2) and the crankshaft balancer alignment mark (4) must align with the engine front cover tab (3).

• Rotate the crankshaft balancer clockwise until the alignment marks on the crankshaft balancer are aligned with the tabs on the engine front cover and the number 1 piston is at top dead center of the compression stroke.
    Object Number: 301393  Size: SH

• Remove the distributor cap bolts and discard.
  • Remove the distributor cap.
    Object Number: 43756  Size: SH

• Install a NEW distributor gasket onto the distributor.
  • Align the indent hole on the driven gear with the paint mark on the distributor housing.
    Object Number: 68505  Size: SH

• Ensure that the distributor rotor segment points to the cap hold area.
  • Align the slotted tang in the oil pump driveshaft with the distributor driveshaft.

Rotate the oil pump driveshaft with a screwdriver if necessary.

Object Number: 310298  Size: SH

• Install the distributor and distributor clamp.

The flat in the distributor housing must point toward the front of the engine.

Object Number: 334555  Size: SH

• Once the distributor is fully seated, align the distributor rotor segment with the number 6 pointer (1) that is cast into the distributor base.

If the distributor rotor segment does not come within a few degrees of the number 6 pointer (1), the gear mesh between the distributor and camshaft may be off a tooth or more. Repeat the procedure again in order to achieve proper alignment.

Object Number: 34403  Size: SH

• Install the distributor clamp bolt.

Tighten
    Tighten the distributor clamp bolt to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

Object Number: 301393  Size: SH

• Install the distributor cap and NEW distributor cap bolts.

Tighten
    Tighten the distributor cap bolts to 2.4 N·m (21 lb in).

Object Number: 387772  Size: SH

• Install the ignition coil wire harness
  • Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
    Experience: ASE CERTIFICATION
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    I will study your instructions and try them out in the morning. I have worked on this car for the past 3 days and have had no luck getting the engine in time. What do I need to do to let you know my progress? Also, do I have to pay every time I ask a question if it is still concerning the distributor and the timing? Thanks for such a prompt response.Customer
    Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.
    You can simply log back in and come back to this post. No you will only need to pay once unless you open other questions. Then you will get charged again.
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    Thanks for your help and I finally got everything correct and the engine is fast to start. The motor is running GREAT. I have a correction you might need to make to your drawing # XXXXX on the full view. This correction may not apply to every vehicle, but it was critical on teh 2000 Bravada engine. As instructed, I lined up the indent hole on the driven gear with the paint mark on the distributor housing. After lining up and after trial and error, I found that your enlarged drawing # XXXXX shows the distributor rotor pointing to the left side of the flat area of the distributor base (i.e. #8). It should be past the right side of the flat area and past the cap hold area (i.e. #6). I then aligned the slotten tang in the oil pump driveshale and installed the distributor and distributor clamp. Everything lined up correctly and the distributor rotor segment lined with the # XXXXX pointer. After completing all of these steps and installing the ignition coil wire harness, everything was good. Thanks for your expert advise. Customer
    Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.
    I see what you are saying. I am wondering possibly this illustration was printed for the V8 vortec engine. That would be the only reason I could see that indicating that position. Thanks for the input though, its always nice to know the end result of our work on this site! Thanks alot! Good work!
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    Thanks for your help and I finally got everything correct and the engine is fast to start. The motor is running GREAT. I have a correction you might need to make to your drawing # XXXXX on the full view. This correction may not apply to every vehicle, but it was critical on the 2000 Bravada engine. As instructed, I lined up the indent hole on the driven gear with the paint mark on the distributor housing. After lining up and after trial and error, I found that your enlarged drawing # XXXXX shows the distributor rotor pointing to the left side of the flat area of the distributor base (i.e. #8). It should be past the right side of the flat area and past the cap hold area (i.e. #6). I then aligned the slotted tang in the oil pump driveshaft and installed the distributor and distributor clamp. Everything lined up correctly and the distributor rotor segment lined with the # XXXXX pointer. After completing all of these steps and installing the ignition coil wire harness, everything was good. Thanks for your expert advise.Customer
    Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.
    Glad to hear you got it fixed!