Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor

How do you change a oil pan gasket on a 1999 kia sportage?

Customer Question

how do you change a oil pan gasket on a 1999 kia sportage?
Category: Car
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Below are directions:

REMOVAL
1.Remove the oil pan mounting bolts.
2.Insert a scraper or a suitable tool between the oil pan and the stiffener or cylinder block to separate them.
3.Remove the oil pan.
Do not damage or scratch the contact surface when removing the oil sealant.

REMOVAL
1.Disconnect the negative battery terminal.
2.Remove the two top intake manifold bracket bolts.

3.Raise and suitably support the vehicle.
4.Remove the oil drain plug and drain the engine oil into a suitable container.
5.Install the drain plug.
Secure the front axle and driveshaft as shown in the flgure(4WD only).
6.Remove the three front axle houseing mounting bolts(4WD only).

7.Remove front left bushing for axle housing mount.
8.Carefully lower the front axle housing.

9.Remove the four gusset plate mounting bolts from one side of the motor and remove the guesst plate.

10.Remove the four gusset mounting bolts from the other side of the motor and remove the other gusset plate.
11.Remove the three bolt on the transmission undercover.
12.Remove transmission undercover.
13.Remove the four bolts on engine undercover and remove the engine undercover.
14.Remove the nineteen oil pan mounting bolts.
15.Insert a scraper or a suitable tool between the oil pan and the oil baffle to separate them.
Do not bend the oil pan or damage the oil pick up tube when prying loose.Remove the oil pan.

16.Remove the oil pan.
17.Remove four bolts for oil strainer assembly.
18.Remove the oil straniner assembly.
Do not bend the oil baffle or damage the oil pick up tube when prying loose.
19.Remove one baffle bolt and remove the baffle.
20.Remove the oil baffle.

21.Thoroughly remove all dirt, oil and other material from the contact surfaces of the oil pan and the baffle.
INSTALLATION
1.Apply a continuous bead of silicon sealant(LOCTITE ULATRA BLACK 598 or equivalent) to the stiffener along the inside of the holes, and overlap the ends.

2.Install the oil pan.

Tightening torque : 72-108 in·lb(7-12N·m)
INSTALLATION
1.Apply a continuous bead of silicone sealant(Loctite Ultra Blue 587 or equivalent) to the oil baffle along the inside of the holes and overlap the ends.

The oil pan projection and recession from the end of the engine block must not be more than 0.06 inch(1.5mm).
2.Install oil baffle.
3.Install one oil baffle mounting bolt.

Tighten the mounting bolts to 84 lb·in (9.5N·m).
4.Install oil strainer assembly.
5.Install four mounting bolts on the oil strainer assembly.

Tighten the mounting bolts to 84 lb·in (9.5N·m)
6.Apply a continuous bead of silicone sealant(Toray SH780M, Loctite Ultra Blue 587 or equivalent)to the oil pan along the inside of the bolt holes and overlap the ends.

7.Install the oil pan.
8.Install the nineteen oil pan mounting bolts and tighten.

Tightening sequence for oil pan bolts is shown at figure.

9.Install two rubber plugs for transmission housing.
10.Install the transmission undercover.
11.Install three transmission undercover bolts.

Before installation, make sure the rubber seal on the transmission undercover is intact. Replace if necessary.
12.Install one of the gusset plates.
13.Install the four gusset plate mounting bolts.

Tighten the mounting bolts to 33 lb·ft (45N·m)
14.Install the other guesset plate.
15.Install the four guesst plate mounting bolts

Tighten the mounting bolts to 33 lb·ft(45N·m)
16.Raise the front axle housing back into place.

17.Install the front axle housing mounting bolts and tighten.

Tighten the mounting bolts to 48 lb·ft (65N·m)
18.Lower the vehicle
19.Add the specified amount of engine oil.
20.Connect the negative batterycable.
21.Install two top bolts on the engine intake manifold bracket.

Tighten the mounting bolts to 34 lb·ft(46N·m)
22.Start the engine and check for any oil leakage.
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
<p>is this procedure also for a 4x4/manual transmission?</p>
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Procedure is the same- still have to drop the front axle housing