Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION
3903212

Accessing the on-board computer trouble codes for a 1999 Cadillac

Customer Question

Accessing the on-board computer trouble codes for a 1999 Cadillac STS i found some answers of how to pull up the code on the CCP but to clear the code it state that I need to use the HI and Low buttons and also I need to us the off and warmer button on the ccp Well I dont find the Hi and Low button on this car
Category: Car
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.
What type of trouble are you trying to diagnose? I am assuming you are having a problem with the automatic climate control is this correct?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No Is the code for abs And traction Control How do I get the code to come up through the CCP
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.

Sorry for the delay, i had to do some digging to come up with the proper way to intiate the on board diagnostics on this model. Here is what I have found.

graphic

The automatic display feature allows you to read each module DTC display function in an automatic display sequence. Each system module DTC will be displayed for 3 seconds followed by a 1 second pause before the next DTC is displayed in an automatic sequence. If no DTC information is sent to the IPC from the system currently displayed on the IPC, the IPC will display NO CODES for that system. At any time during the automatic display function, the manual display feature can be activated by pressing any button on the DIC except the E/M 5 button. The E/M 5 button is used to completely exit the DIAGNOSTICS mode at any time. If there is a communications problem between any system, the IPC will display NO COMM when the IPC is trying to communicate with that system. When all DTCs have been displayed for all systems, the IPC will display NO MORE CODES for 2 seconds then will enter the manual display mode, waiting for manual mode operation.

graphic

Let me know how you make out. Good luck!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You didnt answer the question I need to know how I access the diagnostic mode on this car I foundt that I can use the CCP but that where I am having the problems since I dont have a Hi and Low switch I believe I found my anwser myself Also the information yuo sent me will not work I dont have a fuel button I do have a DIC driver Information Center

I found that I can use the reset button , the onoff button and information up/down button

If I push the ONOFF and the INFORMATION button at the same time and hold for 3 sec

All my code come up witch includes ABS traction Control RSS

IPM ECT Now I need to find what the code That are current are

and fix that problem Thanks for your help

I was very interested in finding how to use the On Board Service Diagnostic OBSD

I am a #1 Caterpillar Shop Tech and I work on the Big Equipment The last server Yrs
the machine have all ECM and I need a computer to trouble shoot some old unit machine Like a 963C trackloader It has a on board OBSD and that how I had to find and clear codes IF you dont mine why do you think it so hard to find the proceedures
for finding this kind of information

Again Thanks Vaughn Flickner
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.

Honestly this is not a good way to determine the trouble codes as there are so many points in which bumping the wrong button and so on can cause you to overlook important information. Most techs that work with this advanced of a cadillac also have a scan tool to access information such as you are looking for. Personally I have not tried to utilize the onboard diagnostics in this particular model as I use a gm tech 2 scan tool. The manual does state that it can be done. This according to the manual is done through the drivers information center. I am thinking that the process of pulling trouble codes through the climate control system is something that stopped prior to this model. Here is how the manual states this is to be done. Let me know if this still does not help and I will opt out so other experts can assist.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks For trying I know that the gm tech 2 scan tool can be used I dont have one And A buddy has but it's a Snapon and he out of town. I am determied to try and learn how to access the code through the DIC and I found out how i will compare the two systems and find out it both show the same codes when My buddy comes back into town

Please let a differernt tech help

Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.
Will do! Good luck to you! Sorry I could not be of greater assistance on this one.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
that find It one of those Pain in the neck problems
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.
I also sent a message to other online experts that may be able to assist you! Good luck!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks