mrfixitrick, Mechanic
Experience:  Over 35 years of full-time, hands-on, automotive repairs to all makes.

Car stalls while driving for no apparent reason. Any clues?

Customer Question

Category: Car
Expert:  mrfixitrick replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomerand welcome to JustAnswer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help with the stalling problem.

The fuel pump would be the main suspect, but there could be a number of other components causing the stall, such as a fuel pump relay, a crankshaft sensor or temperature sensor. Generally, the best way to narrow down the diagnosis is to get a computer (ECU) scan done.

What year and model vehicle is this?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Dodge gave scan for $95 and could find nothing wrong! Other suggestions?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So far no answer from you!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So far not satisfied with your service. Cancel,
Ok, if scan shows nothing wrong, I would tend to go with fuel-related problem such as fuel pump. As a test procedure however, you should check for spark at the spark-plug when the engine stalls to eliminate electrical as the problem. Do you know how to do that, or wish to know?

If there is no spark, it could be due to ignition module, coil or bad wiring. Let me know what vehicle this is and we can diagnose the ignition system further if necessary.

If you have good spark, then there are a number of tests that should be done with a fuel pressure test gauge. First test is of key-on fuel pressure, then fuel pressure while running, then a fuel pressure regulator test, then the holding pressure test with engine off. Do you need to know further info on how to do these tests?

If all the above test prove ok, then you can try leaving the fuel pressure gauge in place until the vehicle stalls and note the fuel pressure then. If pressure has dropped off, consider it may be due to things other than the pump itself. There may be an electrical problem causing the pump to cut out, for example. It could be the fuel pump relay or a corroded connection at the pump. But most of the time with fuel-related problems, it is the pump itself at fault.

Any questions about this let me know. We can keep this question open until the problem is resolved; you can return to it at any time.

Sorry I didn't answer your question fast enough. Most folks who use JustAnswer know to use the $15 rate for questions to get them answered quicker. I guess you didn't know that.

Again, sorry to take so long. I spent over 20 minutes just typing the answer!
I will ask for a refund for you immediately and close out this question.