Car MD
Car MD, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I- CAR platinum; A.S.E. certified; MACS air conditioning certified; 15 years experience

98 sts: seville..fuses ok..restart when turning the key..starter

Customer Question

98 sts seville, good battry, fuses ok, systems ok-but the system computer seems to reset-restart when turning the key: Ignition wont engage... no starter engagement, nothing?
Category: Car
Expert:  Car MD replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X would be glad to assist.

When you turn the key does the dash light up? Accessories? radio etc?..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Dave, Yes, bells and whistles...

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dave,

Correction - year is 95

Also, just checked key lights up dash and radio etc, however, when turned everything goes off: upon release of the key all electronics resume power...

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The park brake doesn't disengage upon foot pressure so must be on engine start...
Expert:  Car MD replied 5 years ago.
Hey there and thanks for the prompt response. It is normal function for the accessory items to shut off while the ignition is turned to "start" and light back up when released. It sounds to me like there is a problem in the starter circuit or with the starter itself. Have you checked for power at the starter? Do you have a test light or volt meter? Silly question, are you sure the vehicle is in park? you also can try to start the vehicle while in neutral, just to rule out the neutral safety switch. Let me know, Thanks. Dave
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dave,

checked in neutral, not silly... sometimes distracted.

No light, meter... am a jr college student without mechanical enablements.

I did try the connectors (by disconnecting themandthen reconnecting) at all the snap on links under the hood that I could find, after inspection of fuses... they are all entact and seem to have good connection.

Will try to locate starter and power leads...

Expert:  Car MD replied 5 years ago.
When you locate the Starter leads there will be a large one and a smaller one. The large one goes straight to the battery for power, the small engages the solenoid. There will always be power at the large cable, the small one will only have power when the key is turned to "start". You can get a test light at an auto parts store for a few dollars. You can ground the clamp end by clipping to something metal under the vehicle, and use the probe to check for power at the wires / connectors. Have someone turn the key to start while checking the small wire for power. Please check these 2 connectors for power and let me know what you get.

Thanks,
Dave
Car MD, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: I- CAR platinum; A.S.E. certified; MACS air conditioning certified; 15 years experience
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dave,

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX seems to be beyond my abilities...

Your answer was probably right on the money so I accept, However I cannot even find a diagram of an sts motor to see where the freekin starter is...

Your good, I'm just too lost.

Customer/p>
Expert:  Car MD replied 5 years ago.
I will try to locate a diagram for you and post it should you decide to give it a try. Thanks for using Just Answer, check back shortly for a photo.

Dave
Expert:  Car MD replied 5 years ago.
On the 4.6l engine the Starter is located under the intake manifold and presents some challenges to test and replace. If the engine is a 4.9l the starter is located on the front of the engine near the radiator. If you would like a diagram please let me know the engine size. Thanks again and good luck.
Dave
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dave,

All I know is that the engine is a northstar...

I am pretty sure they only offered the one size in that year.. but the cable from the + end of the battery does go under the manaford cover and so to see if the wires were in good shape or have connectivity means that the cover needs to be removed.

Should have gone into the trades instead of the army!

I'll take the diagram if you think it will help, I gotta go finda a wrench to remove the cover...

Thanks,

Jim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dave,

The tag under the hood says 4.6l... so... that would mean big bucks and a mechanic that really knows his stuff... like you :)

I'll look around for a dealer comperable kinda shop in Long Beach California...

Just to know that I can't do it myself was well worth the fee... the kinda knowledge you have and work with daily is really amazing... there is no way I have the time, tools or spacial awareness to dig into the guts of that car and make it behave the way it should.

Glad to know your a resource that is worth every penny,

Jim

Expert:  Car MD replied 5 years ago.
I can certainly appreciate your response and respect your not wanting to tackle such a complex repair. Thanks for the kind words and positive feedback as well, it is much appreciated.Just in case you were interested I have posted a diagram of the starter location and the necessary steps to install one should it be the concern.

Have a great day and good luck with the repairs.
graphic

Remove or Disconnect

1. Negative battery cable at battery.

2. Positive battery cable at battery.

Note : In order to get to the starter assembly the intake manifold must be removed.

3. Reposition front bank spark plug wires.

4. Air intake duct from throttle body.

5. Electrical connectors for intake manifold (2), TP (Throttle Position) sensor, ISC (Idle Speed Control) motor, Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Control solenoid and cruise control servo.

6. Vacuum hoses at brake vacuum booster, fuel pipe bundle and to body.

7. PCV hoses at intake manifold.

8. Accelerator cable at throttle body and position out of the way.

9. Relieve fuel system pressure.

10. Fuel pipe quick connects at the fuel pipe bundle in engine compartment.

11. EVAP solenoid bracket at rear (or right) cam cover.

12. Reposition transaxle range control cable away from cruise control servo.

13. Coolant hoses at throttle body and to coolant reservoir and plug hoses. Wrap a shop towel around hoses when disconnecting to avoid spillage.

14. Four intake manifold bolts and lift intake manifold with throttle body out of the engine compartment.

15. Solenoid "S" terminal nut and battery cable nut.

16. Starter motor mounting bolts.

17. Starter Motor.

Install or Connect

Note: Before installing starter motor to engine, tighten inner nuts on solenoid terminals to be sure they are secure in the cap. Tighten inner nuts on battery terminals and motor terminals to 8 Nm (71 Lbs.in.) . If nuts are not properly tightened, starter may fail later due to terminal or cap damage.

1. Solenoid switch lead. Tighten nut to 2.5 Nm (22 Lbs.in.)

2. Battery cable nut. Tighten nut to 8 Nm (71 Lbs. in.)

3. Starter motor.

4. Starter motor mounting bolts. Tighten bolts to 30 Nm (22 Lbs.ft.)

5. Intake manifold with throttle body onto engine and install four bolts. Refer to intake manifold torque procedures. The four intake manifold bolts must be torqued in a specific sequence to 8 Nm (71 Lbs. in.) then an additional 120 degrees (1/3 turn) .

6. Coolant hoses at throttle body and coolant reservoir. Add coolant as needed.

7. Position transaxle range control cable at cruise control bracket.

8. EVAP solenoid bracket at rear cam cover.

9. Fuel pipe quick connects at fuel pipe bundle in engine compartment.

10. Accelerator cable at throttle body.

11. Vacuum hoses at brake vacuum booster, fuel pipe bundle and to body.

12. PCV hose at intake manifold.

13. Electrical connectors for intake manifold (2), TP sensor, ISC motor, EVAP solenoid and cruise control servo.

14. Air intake duct to throttle body.

15. Reposition front bank spark plug wires.

16. Positive battery cable at battery. Tighten bolt to 15 Nm (12 Lbs.ft.)

17. Negative battery cable at battery. Tighten bolt to 15 Nm (12 Lbs.ft.)