hemimstrmax
hemimstrmax, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  10 yrs exp. ASE certified, gold certified with all Dodge,Chry ,Jeep, Corporation training

1989 isuzu trooper: with a 2.6 liter engine..somewhere..doesnt start

Customer Question

i have a 1989 isuzu trooper 2 ls with a 2.6 liter engine. i can start it up and drive it somewhere, kill it and it might start and again it might not start. if it doesn't start, i let it sit for 2 or 3 hrs. and it will start and run fine.might contune to start for the next few times or it might do it the next time you drive it. i've replaced fuel pressure regulater, o ring on fuel inj.,engine relay, fuel pump relay, new coil, none of this has helped it. what should i replace next? computer? any help appreciated.
Category: Car
Expert:  hemimstrmax replied 5 years ago.
hi and welcome to ja, does the vehicle crank just not start when trying t start it, or does it not do anything?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes it spins over as normal, but will not start. doesn't seem to fire when it does it. also when it is running down the road and you knock it out of gear to slow down for a curve in the road, the engine will surge. if it doesn't start, let it sit for say over night and it will start. may run for a day or so then it happens again or do it again the next tme you use it.
so by replacing the coil i am assuming that u checked the spark to make sure your getting fire?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no fire when it wont start. after a time it get fire because it starts.
sounds like a prob with a ingnition module, or the ecm
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i know what the ecm is, but what is the ignition modgual?
is the piece ur power go to first when u go to start the vehicle sends power to ecm , etc , how ever with out a manual for that year not sure if it has one in 89
hemimstrmax, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 10 yrs exp. ASE certified, gold certified with all Dodge,Chry ,Jeep, Corporation training
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, i got a book on the way. i'll accept your answer. thanks very much. c. king
ty and gl with your repair, please dont forget feed back section if i have helped you