david
david, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Certified Master Technician,Certified in diesel & gasoline engines
533087

1993 infinity J30: drove..the car would crank..spark plug..fuel filter

Customer Question

for a 1993 infinity J30, where is the fuel pump located & how do i remove to replace?

I normally put 87 Octain fuel in my J30, but today I put 91 Octain. I drove it to Home Depot (3 miles) then 15 min later the car would crank but would not turn over. I changed spark plug
& wires also replaced the fuel filter. Please advise. may be the fuel pump???
Category: Car
Expert:  david replied 5 years ago.

Hi thank you for your question hope this helps.

A quick test to see if your fuel pump is working. Turn the key on just be for starting can you hear a humming? that is your fuel pump coming on it should hum for about 2 seconds then stop.

The fuel pump on is located inside the fuel tank assembly.

To replace

1. Relieve the fuel system pressure.
  2. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  3. Remove the fuel tank.
  4. Disconnect the wiring harness. Remove the fuel tank sender unit attaching bolts. Remove the fuel tank sender and discard the O-ring.
  5. Remove the fuel pump from the sender unit.

To install:

1. Install the new fuel pump on the sender unit assembly.
  2. Using a new O-ring, install the sender unit in the fuel tank. Tighten the bolts to 2 ft. lbs. (3 Nm).
  3. Connect the wiring harness and install the fuel tank. Tighten the fuel tank attaching strap bolts to 20-27 ft. lbs. (26-36 Nm).
  4. Connect the negative battery cable, start the engine and check for leaks.

Hope this helps

Good luck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay, for the 1993 J30 infinity, the fuel tank is located in the trunk behind the passanger seat correct? I currenlty have a full tank of gas. how do I drain it? is there a drain valve somewhere? on top of the fuel tank ther is a gold circle plate that has 6 8mm bolts bolted around it with 2 fuel lines on it as well as a wire harnes. Is this were the fuel pump is? if so can I just unscrew the 6 8mm bolts and remove it from there with out taking out the fuel tank so that I do not have to drain the fuel??? Please advsie.
Expert:  david replied 5 years ago.

Yes if you remove the 8mm bolts that is the fuel pump.

On some models there was an access panel in the trunk. You got lucky you should not need to remove the fuel tank.

Hope this helps.

david, Auto Service Technician
Experience: Certified Master Technician,Certified in diesel & gasoline engines
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I removed the 6 8mm bolts and it look like a type of float switch that indicates what fuel level the fuel tank is. the fuel service area is located on the right passanger side. There are 2 lines that are going into the fuel tank. One is the fuel service line. which is about 2 to 2 1/2in. the smaller is about 1 or so inches. MY question is. would the fuel pump be located on the side faceing the passanger seat or was I right on the first time. Sorry for all these questions. I just dont't want to keep removing things I do not need. Thank you.
Expert:  david replied 5 years ago.

The bigger line the 2 2 1/2 is the fuel line out on the pump to the engine. The smaller line is the fuel return line from the engine to the tank.

Ask all the questions you need that is what i am hear for. good luck