eric
eric, Technician
Experience:  15 years in auto/diesel repair

Jaguar XJ8: Vanden Plas..wont start..a jump the car will not start

Customer Question

My Jaguar XJ8 Vanden Plas 1998 wont start. The battery seems OK. But even with a jump the car will not start. It does not even turn over. Could it be a fuse? Where would I check for that?
Category: Car
Expert:  eric replied 5 years ago.
does ur headlights come on if so are they dim
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
They come on and are not dim. They seem fine
Expert:  eric replied 5 years ago.
did u pull all fuses and inspect? due u have test light or know how work 1? check at starter to see if big wire coming from battery has power going to starter and check to see if have power at little wire when your trying to start car if you have power then its your start
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not have a test light. What is it? Where would the starter fuse be on this model? I cannot find it in the boot, or trunk.

Expert:  eric replied 5 years ago.
it would be in the engine bay on d/s sir, and a test light is probe with bulb in it with ground strap.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So if I bought a light test... Where would I actually use it? How much is one? Is in not just better to figure out if a fuse has gone and replace that rather than mess around with all of this? Seems more logical to me. Where is the fuse box for the starter motor?
Expert:  eric replied 5 years ago.

well test light cost are cheap 10 bucks at local parts store. u ground wire on tool and you probe circiuts with tip when bulb lights up u have power at circiut. the fuse box is located in engine bay on driver side sir. u can pull each fuse and due visual first. i hope its just fuse or your going get hands dirty sir. good luck i'll be online if u need help.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What else could it be. How much is a 25 or 30 amp fuse? $1?   I mean it started first time on Thursday? Could be starter motor? How much are they?
Expert:  eric replied 5 years ago.
around 200 - 300 dollar's for starter
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK... Well, not much else I can do really until some-one has a look at it I think. I will have it towed to a Jaguar mechanic on Monday and perhaps we can revisit then, as there is not much more I can ask you in terms of diagnostics till tomorrow. Is that OK?
Expert:  eric replied 5 years ago.
well good luck sir hope you get your problem solved
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you Eric. I had the car towed into a mechanic and I will let you know what they say. Once I have that information I will contact you again to see what you may suggest if it is something other than a fuse. Thank you, Philip
Expert:  eric replied 5 years ago.

ok philip hopefully your repair doesnt cost much

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Eric do you know anything about the alarm system in these cars. Apparently my key has a magnetic chip that has immobilized the alarm system and therefore, even though all systems are working, (no mechanical faults) the car will not start because the power to the transponder that routes electricity to the starter motor has been blocked by the alarm system. Needs to be over-ridden and reset by an alarm over-ride.
Expert:  eric replied 5 years ago.
sorryCustomerneed either replace immobilizer or reset by the dealer sir with there scanner tool
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So have to get it reset by the dealer. Figured that. Thanks
Expert:  eric replied 5 years ago.
sorryCustomerhope tows are not costing you much