Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair

1994 cadillac seville: 4.6 liter..Im removing the oil pan..leaking

Customer Question

I am working on a 1994 cadillac seville 4.6 liter north star. I'm removing the oil pan to try and stop it from leaking. what I would like to know is what is the labor on such a job including the timimg cover. I would also like to learn more about the manifold/ upper crank case? it apears to be some sort of oil galley or passege way between the pan and the crank case. Torque specs would be nice.
Category: Car
Expert:  Randall C replied 7 years ago.

Hello, to start I am sending a copy of TSB about oil pan leakage. I also attached the replacement but.. pix may not come through. LMK.

Oil Pan

Fig. 21 Oil Pan Bolt Tightening Sequence

1. Engine and place on stand. See: Service and Repair NOTE: For On-Vehicle Service, remove the transaxle and not the engine. See: Transmission and Drivetrain\Automatic Transmission/Transaxle\Service and Repair
  2. Drain engine oil.
  3. Remove thirteen oil pan bolts and remove pan.
  4. Gasket is reusable unless damaged. Do not remove gasket from oil pan groove unless replacement is required.

1. Install new oil pan seal if required by starting seal into pan groove and working seal into groove in both directions. Once seal is exposed to oil it will expand and no longer stay in groove without wrinkles. If this condition exists, replace with new seal.
  2. Position oil pan to crankcase.
  3. Thirteen oil pan bolts and tighten to 10 Nm (89 lbs in) in sequence.
  4. Install engine and/or transaxle assembly in chassis and refill engine oil.

File In Section: 6 - Engine

Bulletin No.: 67-61-07

Date: February, 1996

Oil Leaks from Oil Pan to Lower Crankcase Attaching Bolts (Clean Bolt/Apply Sealant)

1993 Cadillac Allante
1994-96 Cadillac Concours, DeVille, Eldorado, Seville
1995-96 Oldsmobile Aurora
with 4.0L, 4.6L Engine (VINs 9, Y, C - RPOs L37, LD8, L47)

Some engines may exhibit engine oil leaks sourced at oil pan to lower crankcase attaching bolts and bolts attaching the brace between the transaxle and engine oil pan.

This condition may be caused by porosity in the lower crankcase area near the oil pan bolt threads. This type of leak would show oil leaking at or near the head of the fastener affected.

To correct porosity leaks in these areas, use the following procedure:

1.Remove the bolt which is leaking.

2.Thoroughly clean the bolt hole with brake clean or suitable equivalent cleaner.

3.Thoroughly blow out bolt hole with shop air (20 psig maximum pressure).

4.Thoroughly clean the bolt with brake cleaner or suitable equivalent cleaner.

5.Apply a moderate amount of Loctite(R), P/N 12345382 (Blue Service removable) threadlocker/sealant to bolt.

6.Install bolt and torque to 9.5 Nm (85 lb in.).

Engines previously returned through the engine exchange program for this type of leak should instead be repaired using this procedure.

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use as shown.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
You didn't answer my question on laber for the oil pan and timming cover and there is nothing about the oil manifold
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I still have not recieved any thing on the oil manifold