George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist

I have a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe 2wd 2.4/4 cylinder and have

I have a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe 2wd 2.4/4 cylinder and have a P1701 code coming up. The vehicle idles fine, but when I put it in gear no power at all.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mauricio replied 5 years ago.
1. Using the scanner, check fuel trims to see if they are up around 20-25% positive.

2. Check the O2 sensor voltage to see if it is staying low near 0 volts or cross-counting. If the O2 sensor voltage is near 0 volts, try adding supplemental fuel to see if the voltage jumps up, in case it is just a defective O2 sensor stuck lean. If the O2 sensor is near 0 volts and jumps up with supplemental fuel or is cross-counting properly, but with high fuel trims, then the engine is just too lean.

3. Check the fuel trims at idle and at 2500 RPM. If just lean at idle, a possible vacuum leak. If lean all the time, this would be a possible Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor or low fuel pressure, etc.

4. Check fuel pressure. Specification is 37 PSI with vacuum on the fuel pressure regulator and 46-49 PSI without vacuum on the fuel pressure regulator.

5. Check MAF sensor voltage. Specification is 0.5 volts at warm idle and 1.0 volt at 2000 RPM no load.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
With the scanner do I have to start the vehicle and do I put the scanner on MIL mode? And adding supplemetal fuel, do you mean a octane additive?
Expert:  Mauricio replied 5 years ago.
You can use carburator cleaner spray.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: I prefer a second opinion.
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

Hello I am George H and I will help you with your question. The P1701 you pulled is related to the Throttle Position Sensor input to the Transmission Control Module. It is set when the expected input is outside the parameters programmed into the PCM.

The wiring between the TPS and the Powertrain control modules may be corroded or the connections may be loose at either end of the wiring. The TPS itself may have failed.

It is my experience that the TPS is usually at fault but I do test the operation before I replace it.

Do you have any other codes? Is the transmission fluid red or brown? Is the battery in good condition? How has it been driving in the last three months?

Let me know what I can do to help

Thanks

George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have a PO300 misfire and I also keep getting excessive fuel in the combustion chamber. If I pull the plugs and compressor the excess out and put plugs back in it idles but boggs out when giving any throttle. The initial problem started after getting a fill up and getting into it on the freeway. Started farting all over itself and an instant severe loss of power, bucking, and the worst hesitiation I ever seen. Replaced plugs, coils, wires, mass air flow, fuel pump, etc, etc, etc. At wits end.
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

Have you closed off the evap purge vacuum line that feeds into the back of the intake plenum? If the vehicle was overfilled the charchol canister may be saturated and dumping fuel into the intake. The vacuum line is here

While you are there pinch off the hose with the green stripe it feeds the EGR solenoid, if this works for you we will decide which it is later

graphic

graphic

graphic

See if the drivability improves with these hoses pinched. The fuel has to be coming from either the purge valve or the fuel regulator. Check the vacuum hose for the regulator on the end of the fuel rail for gas. It should be dry at all times. The regulator is the round thing shown next to the purge solenoid

Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.
How many miles and has the timing belt been changed? Have you pulled the upper timing belt cover to inspect the belt and to see if it is in time?